Just Azula

"Are you ready?" Zuko asks Azula with concern. The distant murmuring of the crowd outside seeps through, a reminder of the weight that rests upon her shoulders.

"I'm always ready," She replies with false confidence.

Truth be told, she was scared. She was scared of what the public would say. She was scared to face their judgment. She took a deep breath, summoning her inner strength as she stepped out of the palace and onto the grand stage of the stadium. She had said many speeches in this very stadium, yet none were as nerve-racking as this. She turns her head and looks over at the jury seated right next to her, then back at the crowd before her.

"Dear citizens of the Fire Nation," Azula exclaims. " I stand before you, ready to bear the weight of your judgment."

Azula takes a Deep breath. She turns around and looks at her brother. Then at the encouraging smile on her lover's face. Y/n... She looks back down at her paper. "But I plead with you, don't judge me until you have heard my full speech." As Azula's gaze swept across the faces of her citizens, she couldn't help but notice the myriad of emotions reflected in their eyes. Confusion, anger, and pity -pity is the worst sort of look someone can give you. "You have come to know me as the Fire-bending prodigy or the Conqueror of Ba Sing Se or the Fire Nation Princess; all of these nicknames and yet, none say my name. Azula is who I am. I am not just the Fire-bending prodigy or the Princess, I am also me. Let me tell you who I am." Azula looks up at her people. At this point, the face shows only 1 emotion. Curiosity. "From a young age, I exhibited a gift for fire bending. I could conjure up the brightest flame compared to those of my peers. My father took notice of this, and I soon became his favorite.

I have always been told that the Firelord was the reincarnation of Agni. That I was to never disobey him, nor speak up against him. I followed these rules devoutly, as did many of you.

When my brother was exiled, I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to think, to feel, or to believe. My father had always told me what to do, but this time he stayed quiet. He didn't tell me what to think, no, he just stayed quiet. I suppose he wanted to know how I'd react if I was loyal or not. Nevertheless, I stayed quiet. I didn't want to end up with a burnt eye." A cough is heard from Zuko. "Once Zuko was out of the picture, my father made me work harder, train longer, study more. I never disobeyed. I couldn't even think of doing so. I felt as though he could read my mind, and feel my emotions.

At 14 my father ordered me to go search for my brother and uncle. I forcibly made my friends help me in doing so. They soon betrayed me which sent me into a spiral.

The years I spent in the asylum were the worst of my life. I was given luxury, yes, but was I given humanity? No, I was not. What happened in the hospital is far too graphic to describe. It was inhuman, to say the least. 10 years passed and my brother came to me. He invited my therapist and I to stay at the palace. That is how I am here today, standing before you.

So make your judgment of me. Make your judgment of Azula."

The crowd is silent for a moment, then loud murmuring. Mixed reactions can be heard. After some deliberation, the jury's decision seems made.

The judge raises his hand, silencing the audience. He opens his mouth to speak. "Princess Azula," He starts. "The jury finds you..."