Compassion, Sympathy, and Dara

"Actually," Aang starts, looking around the room with a hesitant smile. "In my personal opinion, I find Fire Nation cuisine to be superior to that of the Southern Water Tribe."

"What?!" Katara and Sokka yell in unison.

Sokka's eyes widen in disbelief. He dramatically places a hand over his heart, simulating a sense of heartache, and exclaims, "How dare you utter such words?!"

"My own husband," Katara cries out, wiping away fake tears.

"You put me on the spot!" Aang defends, waving his hands around. "Have some compassion!"

The rest of the group laughs with mirth. Azula, too, lets out a chuckle. She looks around the room, her initial small smile gradually transforming into a frown.

A close family.

She thinks. She quickly erases the thought, using her chopsticks to play around with the food. She grasps her wine glass and swiftly downs the rice wine. Her mother gazes at her with a worried expression, her eyebrows furrowing together in concern.

Compassion.

Azula knows the definition of the word. Compassion. Sympathetic pity and concern for others. She knows she has to use this for her speech. She has to connect to her audience, show sympathy and garner respect and love from her people. But in all honesty, she is uncertain of how to accomplish this. She can strike fear into the hearts of others, and motivate her soldiers into sacrificing their lives for the nation. But this wasn't a speech that needed to in-force fear, this particular occasion calls for a speech that inspires love.

"Azula," Toph turns her head to face the girl and whispers. "Your heart is racing."

Raising her gaze from her plate, she responds, "Is that so?" She shifts her attention towards her friend, locking her eyes with her.

"No compassion for you, Aang," Sokka responds, turning his head and acting annoyed.

"Azula!" A loud shout resounds from across the room, capturing everyone's focus. All eyes turn to witness the doctor rushing into the dining area, waving a piece of paper in their hand. Y/n, placing their hands on their knees, takes a moment to catch their breath before delivering the news. "There's a letter addressed to you... It's from a girl named Dara."

"What?" Azula abruptly rises from her seat, a sense of urgency gripping her. It has been a long time since she last received any news about the girl, especially since the incident at the hospital. She hastens towards the doctor, extending her hand to retrieve the paper.

With a swift glance, Azula skims the contents before swiftly running to her room.

The remaining occupants of the room exchange perplexed glances, their expressions reflecting curiosity.