Of No Use

"Welcome back, your majesty," Zuko's chamberlain states as the Firelord gets off his carriage. His servant had not gone on the trip, opting to spend the past few days alone in his apartment going over the king's documents. "Do you need any assistance?"

"No," Zuko smiles. "None will be necessary."

Zuko looks up at his palace. How beautiful it was. He had spent almost all his life running down the castle halls, chasing his sister around trying to get back a precious item she had stolen.

The thought of Zuko's sister makes him frown. She's going to kill me.

"Zuko," Mai calls out to him. He turns around to look at his wife. "What are you thinking about?"

Mai always knew when something was on Zuko's mind.

"Nothing," The Firelord lies through his teeth. "Just paperwork."

"Are you sure?" Mai inquires. "You know you can talk to me."

"I know, Mai," Zuko walks towards his wife and cups her cheek in his palm. He leans forward and gives the girl a peck. "I'll head inside. I need to check the state of my nation."

Mai laughed with glee, covering her mouth with her hand.

"Of course, my gracious majesty," She gives Zuko a dramatic bow that causes him to start laughing too.

He gives his wife a deep bow back, still giggling as he walks away.

Suddenly, footsteps interrupt Zuko's happy memories.

"Your majesty," Says a voice. Dissatisfaction is visible in his ears.

"Azula," Zuko responds. "What do you want?"

"Let's go have a chat," Azula gives Zuko a Fake smile.

The two walk down the grand halls into Zuko's office, their foot's steps echoing through the palace. When they enter his office, they both stand in front of each other. Azula raises a brow.

"What is it?"

"You left me," The girl says candidly.

Zuko sighs. I knew this would happen. "I'm so so sorry Azula. It's just that we didn't have the time to inform you sooner. I tried my best, really I did."

"You call a three-sentenced letter trying?" Azula scoffs, pulling out a piece of paper from her pocket. It was the letter Zuko had written her. "I guess that's why you were never good enough. Effort isn't your strong suit."

"Azula!" Zuko snarls. "I told you I was sorry."

"Let's see here," The girl says in a mocking voice, holding up the letter Zuko had written for her. "Dear Azula, the servants and I will be gone for a couple of days on a vacation. I do this once every year. I'm very sorry for not informing you sooner."

Zuko looks at Azula with sorrow. "I'm truly sorry Azula. I have responsibilities, running a nation after all."

The girl lets out a deep, heavy sigh as she turns her back on her brother, her eyes glancing over her shoulder as she stops in her tracks, hesitating for a moment, she asks him something.

"Why did you revoke my title?" She turns around to look at the Firelord. "Do...do you hate me that much?"

"Azula," Zuko answers regretfully. "After the war, many people wanted your execution. I suggested that your title should be revoked instead."

Azula looks down and her feet.

"You should've let me die," She looks back up. "It's not like I have any use anymore."

"You're not here because you're 'useful'. You're here because you're wanted," Zuko continues. "You'll get your title back, I can promise you that."

Azula stares at Zuko, not knowing how to respond. She then turns around and walks out of the room.