Chapter 40: Fire and Ice.

"Darling, you almost ready?" Elias asked, leaning on the wall next tot he bathroom door. "Just a sec!" Renee spoke from inside, before opening the door and stepping out.

The festival of stars was beginning, and the two would be there to dance and be with their people. Renee wore a nice flow-y dress, a little shorter so she could happily dance around. It was still elegant, though.

Elias had on a loose top and pants, still looking like a king no matter what. He took her hand, leading her out of the room and in the hall.

As they walked down the stairs, Elias spotted his mother and father talking. They didn't plan on going to the festival. "Father, are you two sure you don't want to go?" Elias asked, his father sending the two a smile.

"You two have your fun, your mother and I will be here to make sure everything is still in place." He reassured him, Melissa holding his hand.

"Alright, but don't be afraid to come down." He said to them one last time, turning to Renee and holding his arm out for her.

"Shall we?" He asked, smiling a bit. She laughed softly, holding his arm. "We shall." She smiled as the two walked down the hall, heading to the castle doors. Guards were accompanying them, just to make sure the king and queen were safe while they had their fun.

Renee took a breath of fresh air once they stepped out of the castle and it's walls, hearing music start up in the town.

As they walked toward it, they noticed all the lanterns and decorations set up. People were dancing around a fountain in the town center, musicians playing a melody. Smiles were all over, even on the royals themselves.

The song ended, people clapping while their attention turned to their Royal majesty's.

Elias gestured to the musicians, giving a sign that they didn't need to stop the fun for them. Music started, and Elias took Renee's hand and pulled her over. People cheered, happily getting back over and dancing along.

Partners switched throughout the song, people just enjoying themselves and letting the music take over. By the end of the song, everyone was back with their original partner, Renee laughing happily in Elias' arms. The smile on her face gave him the reassurance he needed.

She was happy.

Hours went by, music and dancing continuing throughout the night. The market was filled with amazing food to buy and sweets, as well as souvenirs.

Hand in hand, Renee and Elias walked down the cobblestone path through the market while talking and laughing as they enjoyed some candy from one of the market stalls.

A little girl came over, holding handmade necklaces for the festival. She held it up, gesture for them to bend down. Renee smiled at her, leaning down and the necklace being placed on.

Elias leaned down next, Renee thanking the girl. He reached in a pouch he hand, handing the little girl a handful of gold coins as her eyes went wide. The jewelry was free, but he didn't mind.

Things were dying down throughout the night, mothers and fathers sending their kids to bed as it was late. The festival was amazing, and Renee wished it could go on forever.

The two were enjoying some food by the fountain, laughing while Renee spoke.

"I've never been to anything like this, it was amazing!" She spoke happily, Elias adoring her. "You never went while in the orphanage?"

"Our hope was with more people coming to town that they would go there and consider adopting us." She gave him a sad smile, not wanting the moment to turn sour.

"But that doesn't matter anymore, I'm happy and you're happy and that's all that matters!" She looked at him hopefully. "Yes my love, I'm happy." He stood up, holding her hand in hand.

Elias leaned down, kissing Renee and holding it lovingly. They both smiled, Renee turning a soft pink since like she always does. But their happiness didn't last long.

A loud bell rang, people freezing in their places. Renee pulled away, the two looking in the direction of the noise and seeing the one watchtower. The bell in it was going off, but no flame, everyone watching the silhouette of it moving.

Suddenly, the fire arose, showing the silhouette of a guard located in the tower fought with a sword by two other men.

Everyone panicked, closing shops, locking themselves in somewhere safe while others frantically gathered their children and headed towards the mountains to the safe houses.

All the watch towers and their fires arose, bells ringing from all over. Arrows were suddenly shot through the air, heading straight to the town from the outside.

People screamed, Renee creating a large ice shield as she blocked the arrows from her and Elias. A look of fear was in her eyes, looking at Elias as his held worry.

"Get to the castle." He spoke, guards running to them. A guard helped Elias but on some armor, not having one for Renee. "I'm not leaving you, dummy!" She saw Tapitor guards running toward them, making a large pile of ice and snow before having it hurl towards them while using as much strength as she could.

The guards were knocked down, Elias pulling Renee aside. "I want you there, now." He demanded, not wanting anything to happen. "I'm not leaving." She fought back, moving her hands in a motion. An ice chest plate appeared over her dress, having it there just for protection.

"God it's hard to fight with you." He muttered, another ice shield being conjured up as arrows were shot at them.

"Elias!" Parker yelled, dawned with shining armor and a horse he rode on. "They are coming from the east border, hundreds of them!"

Elias faced Parker. "Make sure everyone in the town is safe, don't leave anyone behind!" Parker gave a stiff nod, his horse neighing as he rode off with a sword in his hand.

Elias turned, Renee gone. He cursed to himself, but knew she could keep herself safe for the time being.

Renee was running, using her powers to take down dozens of guards. She panted, never feeling this tired while using her powers. It seemed a little bit sensitive too, but she had to push those thoughts away.

She suddenly heard the clanking of horse hooves from behind her, turning around followed by her eyes widening.

Mare was riding a horse, dawned with armor and a sword. But she wouldn't be needing the sword.

"Mare-" Renee spoke in shock, nervously backing away. "Give up, Renee! You deserve none of the power you hold!" Mare yelled, looking furious.

"This can all end right now, Mare. We don't have to fight over something silly!" "I cannot and will not end this until you are dead and I have all the power." Mare spat out, her brows furrowed.

"I'm afraid  I can't let you have that." Renee would say, standing in a defensive position, ready to fight.

"Je suppose que nous combattons le feu et la glace, soeur."

("I guess we fight fire and ice, sister.")

Mare jumped off her horse, muttering a spell under her breath and holding her palms up. Sparks of fire appeared, and the fight was just beginning.

.