Chapter 38: 'Reine Mare'

Renee opened her eyes, the sun shinning on her body as it crept through the curtains by the window. She rubbed her eyes, sitting up a bit and yawning softly.

Opening her eyes, she looked around the room before seeing who her arms were around. She smiled a little, seeing Elias laying down sleeping softly.

She sat up fully, removing her arms from him before she suddenly felt him pull her back down into his arms. Her eyebrows raised a little, looking up at his face only to see a smirk.

"And what do you think you're doing?" She would ask, a teasing tone in her voice. "Keeping you here with me, lovely."

She smiled, putting her hand on his chest. "Yes but the King and Queen must not sleep in, Elias. Especially you, one who has important duties."

She wiggled away from bud grasp, sitting up as the blanket falling from her chest. It was then she realized she was still naked. She gasped, quickly pulling it back up as she heard his laughter. She gave him a glare as his smirk grew. "Don't cover yourself, I love seeing you like that." He teased, causing her to throw a pillow at him.

——

"Ahh, I see their Royal majesty's have finally awakened." Parker teased, watching as Elias and Renee walked down the stairs, hand in hand. Elias rolled his eyes, Renee looking at him before back at Parker.

"I thought it would be nice for us not to be awoken, but to have a nice slept in after all the fun from last night." Elias spoke, a small smirk on his face as Renee turned bright red. He had two meanings to his sentence.

Parker stifled a laugh, Renee glaring at him. "Don't you have guard work to do?!" She asked him, all flustered but trying to keep an angry face.

"Your highness," A guard suddenly came by, bowing before standing back up straight. "Yes, Collin?" Elias asked, reading the concern on his face.

"There is something you must see, it's a bit alarming. I don't recommend you come, my Queen." Collin looked at Renee, who now had a worried look on her face. "I think it's best if I do, I want to be involved with things like this." She stood up straight, putting on a bit of confidence.

"Renee-" Elias started, her quickly shooting a glare and cutting him off. "I said, I think it's best if I do." Elias was a bit caught off guard by her sudden boost of confidence.

He sighed, knowing they really didn't have time for argument. The guard leaded them down to a private room, a few other guards inside including Leonardo.

There on the table sat a gold and red box, a gold heart in the middle of the two Dutch doors that opened it up. Elias reached over, opening the box. Everyone gasped, Renee shuddering.

Inside sat a bloody heart, whether it be animal or human, they were all mortified. A dagger went right through it, a note with blood on it laying beside.

"O-oh my.." She could barely speak, shock in her tone. Elias looked away, pulling her close and turning her gaze away from the box.

"Retrieve the note, please." He asked, looking down at the floor. A guard took out the paper, closing the box and unfolding the letter.

"Sire, it's in another language. It's signed 'Reine Mare'." He looked at the two, before Renee looked up. "It's French, let me read it."

"Renee, are you sure?" Elias asked, looking down at her. "What other choice do we have?" She asked, a sorrow look on her.

She was handed the note, looking down at the letter. Red ink, to be precise, blood, written neatly, but some drops on the page.

She gulped, before translating it out loud. "Becoming Queen doesn't ensure the safety of your kingdom, sister. You c-clearly couldnt save the soul of who's heart lie in this box, o-one of your very own..H-Have fun with the tournament to come, Q-Queen Mare.." She was a shaking a bit, everyone frozen.

"Sh-She killed someone..one of our own.." She nervously looked up at Elias, holding back tears. He had a look of anger and worry.

Suddenly, two guards that had posts out in the village ran in, panting with nervous looks on their faces.

"You're highnesses," One greeted, the other getting straight to the task. "A man has been found dead. His body is in the woods, and it's brutal."

Everyone was frozen, Elias rushing out and Renee following him. The castle doors opened, both walking out to rush to the town. Guards were following, walking with them to ensure their safety.

People in the town were out, some looking scared, others angry, while others just talked. Guards blocked the path to the woods, citizens near them.

The guards parted for the King and Queen, letting them go forth. Lay past them was a man, looking to be in his 50s, laying dead. His chest was cut open, blood all over his clothes. A gaping hole open where his heart would be.

Renee gasped, tears gathering in her eyes as she saw him. He hid her face in Elias' chest, Elias standing there in shock.

"How could this happen?" She sniffled, looking up at him. He soothingly rubbed her back, trying to calm her down a bit. "I don't know, but this can't go on any longer."

Elias looked at one of the guards. "Make sure he is identified, and if any family he has is notified. Carefully take him to the morgue, and cover his body. He deserves respect, dead or alive." Is request was followed by a 'Yes sir', Elias guiding Renee away from the scene.

"I-I'm scared.." She muttered, hating to admit her truth. "I know love, I am too." He held her close to his body, a tear running down his cheek. They were hurting his kingdoms people now, who knew what else they could do?

.