[*Their Protectress - A Thousand Years Ago- Flashback*]

The summer breeze blew through her black hair, making the strands flow like a halo around her

The summer breeze blew through her black hair, making the strands flow like a halo around her. The young woman closed her eyes, tilting her head, the silky strings rippled down her back, cultivating a lake. The long evergreen field felt like needles, tickling against her palms and bare feet.

The sound of soft melodies flowed up to bluebirds soaring the blue sky, creating a beautiful harmony.

"Darcella!" A voice called out in the distance.

The girl jumped, startled from her singing. Glancing over her shoulder, a grin stretched across her face seeing the shoulder-length brunette young man running across the field, cheeks flushing with excitement.

Their laughs mingle as the young man trips over his own feet and flopped down on his rump beside her.

"Calm down! You're going to hurt yourself," the girl giggled in a soft tone. She peered between his glittery brown eyes and the wide grin extending his lips. "What has you so excited about?" A warmth spread through her core, seeing him so happy.

"Look!" He exclaimed, extending his hands towards the withering rose in the vast field. "Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras. Phasmatos Tribum, Melan Veras," he whispered.

The slightly older sibling laughed with amazement, watching as the flower bloomed to life. "Wow! You're getting stronger," turning to the young man, she pulled him into her arms. "I told you if you kept practising, you would attain your abilities. I'm so proud of you, Kol."

Pulling away from their hold, the girl frowns, noticing the sad look on his face. "What is it? You should be proud of yourself."

The young man smiles sadly, looking up at the approaching sundown. With a shrug of his shoulders, he peers down at the grass, fingers fiddling with the blossomed rose. Unrooting it from the ground, he turned to his sister, brushed aside her hair and slipped the stem behind her ear.

"I wish we could experience this together, as we have with all aspects of our life. We've been joined to the hips since the moment we entered this world. We've learnt and discovered new things, yet I can't share this one unique experience with my other half. I loathe it and her for causing you this pain,"

"Hey, look at me," pleading in a soothing tone, she placed her delicate palms on his cheeks, lifting his head to the right, when he returned his gaze to the ground. Sending him a phoney convincing look, she leant her forehead against his. "I'm happy as I am. I don't need magic for that; I have all of you, and even Finn, with his miserable behind. If I have you all, I'm whole."

Dislodging her grip, the young man stood to his feet, his face a sight of frustration, arms swinging around to emphasise his reasoning. "When will you ever stop lying to yourself, Darcella? I see it. We all see it! We know the pain you harbour," slapping his chest, where his beating heart resided.

"I can feel your pain! I hate to see you in such misery. Sister, you deserve this more than any of us. You have never wanted anything in life. You would rather throw yourself in front of Father's sword to protect Nik's and Henrik's hide. Hell, Darcella, you do that for us all—even me when I come crying because Rebekah and Elijah are so far up Niklaus's arse. You always tell me I matter too. You tell me it's always us forever and that nothing can tear us apart. It's always us before you."

Smiling softly, she shook her head and pulled the boy into her arms. Stroking his brown locks, she whispers into his neck. "Because it's true. It will always be you and our siblings before me. I would always put my life on the line to ensure your safety. If that means jumping in front of Father's sword or his beating hand to keep you safe, I'll gladly do it and more for the rest of my existence."

The young man pulled away from her embrace, wiping his eyes. "You're too selfless for this world. I wish you could see your worth. I wish Mother would give you your abilities back. You are ascended for greater things, and here you are, no fault to yourself, wasting away."

"Maybe so, but I can't do anything about that, and that's ok. As long as I have you by my side, everything else will be fine. I don't care if you have magic, and I don't. I don't wield any animosity towards you. I'm content with you flourishing. I'll proceed to be next to you as you find your feet on your next journey," pausing, she stared into his watery gaze, her own blue reflecting the pain she carries deep in her core. She sniffed, pushing back the tears and smiled softly. "Now smile and wipe that frown off your ugly face."

Kol gasped playfully and puffed out his chest, a smug smirk making an appearance. His eyes twinkled with mirth. "No need to be jealous, we both know I'm handsome, and you're an ugly toad."

Her own attitude mirrored his as she stood taller, ready to pounce, an all too familiar mannerism. "You do realise you're calling yourself an ugly toad, being that we share the same facial features and all, don't you?"

"Why, you little–"

"Thanks for finally calling me beautiful too. I guess I won this round too!" She cackled when he advanced on her. Turning on her heels, she ran through the tall grass, giggles and laughter following their steps, alerting their other siblings of the jovial banter.

"Wonder what it is this time?" The oldest brother asked. They ruptured into snickers when the dark-haired girl tripped and rolled down the hill. Her twin running too fast, followed the same treatment, tumbling with yelps until they came to a standstill at the bottom in a heap of laughter and tangled limbs.

"The battle of who's the most beautiful, of course. Fools the both of them, I'm the most handsome of them all," the blond male let out a loud guffaw before jogging over to the still squabbling pair.

"He's going to, isn't he?" The blonde girl asked, giggling with her youngest and older brothers as the blonde male leapt on the two, proceeding to wrestle them into headlocks.

"Yep," the three males commented in sync.

"Should we rescue the damsel in distress's?" Henrik inquired, though the grin on his face showed he would rather watch his siblings suffer.

"Which one, Niklaus or Kol?" A smirk graced the second oldest males lips. "I say we leave them both to suffer."

That was before they doubled over into laughter when two loud outcries sounded from the trio.

Their Protectress rose to her feet with a victorious yell and ran towards them, surging with joyous cheers. "And that, my dear sister and brothers, is why I'm the greatest of them all."

Kol and Niklaus approached with gloomy faces, scowling at their siblings, making fun of them.

Darcella turned around and threw her arms around her two oldest brothers shoulders, grinning at Kol and Niklaus in a content manner. Her eyes made contact with Kol's brown. "See, Kol? As long as we're always together, I'll forever be happy. I don't need anything else but you all at my side."

-

I love them 😪🤧
I know I'm awful for making them go through this pain 💔

I love them 😪🤧I know I'm awful for making them go through this pain 💔