[M*Chapter Thirty-Eight*]

*Strong language and mature content (Violence)*

Darcy paced endlessly around the living room. She fiddled idly with the crescent resting at her neck as her thoughts and limbs became a jumbled mess. The thunder rumbled deep in the angry skies, rain struck harshly against the windowpane, causing the blood in her veins to thrum and enlighten her fight instincts. The invisible rope pulling taught, urging her to bolt out of the door.

"Will you ever stop pacing? You're making me dizzy," Elena said, rubbing her eyes.

"No one said you had to watch," Darcy muttered, running her hands through her tangled locks as once again her feet travelled across the lounge.

"Why don't I make us a drink? Coffee, you love coffee," Elena said, climbing to her feet and making her way into the kitchen, pulling two mugs out of the cupboard, and clicking on the kettle.

"No, I don't want a drink. I can't sit around knowing something could happen tonight," Darcy said, stopping at the window and peering through the curtains.

The storm repeated its banging drums.

"You're paranoid, Darce. Nothing is going to happen," Elena said, pulling hers and Darcy's phones out of her pocket. She winced, glancing at the numerous missed calls on the screen and set them face down on the kitchen island.

"That's where you're wrong," Darcy said, shaking her head. She released the curtains, walked over to Elena, and sat on the stool at the island, gazing at her chipped red nail varnish. "Not after Stefan killed one of the vampires. Tonight would be perfect for them to act on their revenge."

Darcy looked up from her hands and narrowed her eyes at the disapproval on Elena's face. "Don't tell me you're seriously mad about that? I think you forget your boyfriend is a vampire."

"I know that." Elena avoided eye contact, looking down granite table. "Every day, I'm reminded of that fact, but that doesn't make it okay... None of it does."

Darcy reached over and took Elena's hands in hers, inciting Elena to raise her head and meet Darcy's soft gaze. "Do you regret getting involved with Stefan? It's okay if you do. It's a lot to take on. No one would judge you if you did."

The Gilbert girl went silent for a moment. Darcy gave her that. Their situation was not exactly normal. Heck, the supernatural was not supposed to exist; they belonged in bedtime stories. Darcy snorted inwardly; she felt like a character in a book.

"No..." Elena's voice brought her back to the present. Darcy gazed at the girl's face, looking for any negative indication. "No, I don't regret getting involved with Stefan... I love him."

She loves him...

Of course, she does. She wouldn't be with him if she didn't.

Dumbass.