[*Chapter Twenty-Seven*]

Ayo! Another long chapter

Ayo! Another long chapter. Enjoy! 💜🖤

~

Alaric Saltzman collected the photocopies from the printer and left the teacher's room. As he walked at a leisurely pace down the corridor, he heard a loud metallic clang resound further down the long hallway. He paused; to his knowledge, no one was at the school but him. When no more sounds came, he continued his walk to his classroom. The darkened hall sent shivers down his spine. Alaric could feel it; he wasn't alone. To confirm his suspicion, he heard a whoosh behind him and abruptly spun around.

When he didn't see anything, he called out, "Hello? Hello, someone there?"

Just as he expected, no reply came. Despite the alarm bells and his inner panic caused him to retreat, pausing at a locker next to the teacher's room. Opening it, he pulled out a bag and emptied its contents onto the teacher's desk, picking up an air-compressed gun, affixed to it was a wooden stake. Running back to his classroom, he halts in his tracks upon seeing Stefan inside; without hesitation, the teacher slots in a stake in the gun and fires, only for Stefan to catch mid-air.

"You shouldn't have done that," Stefan said, gesturing to the empty desks, "Have a seat."

Alaric eyes him warily and steps into the room but pauses, seeing Darcy waving mockingly from the teacher's desk, "Uh, what are you doing here?"

"Decided to accompany dear old Steffy here," she smiled sweetly and raised an impressed brow at his hunting gear, "Nice kit, by the way, consider me impressed."

Stefan shot her a look to be quiet. She grinned and mimicked, zipping her mouth and sat back in the seat, feet resting on the desk, "Be my guest, carry on."

Stefan turned back to Alaric once he had taken a seat. He motioned to his hunting gear, "What's this, compressed air? Did you make it yourself? Who are you-,"

"Jesus, Stefan, let the man breathe before you bombard him with questions." Darcy shook her head at her best friend's impatient self. Turning to Alaric, "We won't hurt you if you tell us who the hell you are and what you're doing here in Mystic Falls. Shall we try again? Who are you?"

Stefan couldn't help clap his hands sarcastically. He doesn't know how this one human girl can change his brooding ways. Once upon a time, he wouldn't stand for such things, but who would have guessed he would be standing in a classroom about to interrogate a teacher, yet but couldn't help banter and bicker with Darcy. What is this girl doing to him?

"Talk about hypocrite much?" he raised a brow in a challenge, to which Darcy stuck up her middle finger and stood up, rounding the desk. She took steady steps and perched on the desk in front of the vampire hunter.

"I'm a teacher." Alaric cut into their banter, eyes roaming between them restlessly.

Darcy shot the vampire a look; it was his turn to play bad cop.