[*A Thousand Years Ago - Flashback*]

*Flashback/Dream (1000 years ago)*

-

The further they passed the mouth of the cave, the light dimmed to a dull, gloomy glow, and the warmth of the summer seeped to a chill that swept down their spines. The girl peered at the surroundings; her cerulean eyes traced the gold along gold stone walls that had marred with archaic age. The further they travelled, the fresh air changed to moist and stale water that made her wrinkle her nose in distaste, the lush soft meadow altered to dirt and stone that dug into the soles of their bare feet. They came to a cease as the blonde male stopped his tracks and turned to face them, watching them with worried, blue-green eyes.

"We shan't be here long. Dusk is upon us. Once we see the wolves, we ought to head back to the hut. Okay, brother, sister? Father shall have our hides if he snared our disobedience," he said, unable to mask his fear.

Still, with clasped hands, the girl patters closer until she's at his feet, the younger boy huddled into her side as she gazes at the older with a tender smile. "No fret, Nik. I won't allow Father to hurt you. I'll protect you," she glances down at her younger brother with a soft face before trailing back up to the fair-headed man. "Us. I'll protect us."

Nik protests shaking his head, his long, beautiful locks swishing around his angular face. "Darcella. You must not stop Father. Women shall not fight. That's our job, as men, to protect you, Rebekah, Freya, and Mother," he cups her face, eyes sparkling with fierce emotion, and kisses her forehead. "Always our protector."

"Our fearless protector," Henrik said, squeezing her hand, gazing up with an adoring grin.

"A fearless protector who shall always protect her family," Darcella said with utmost conviction. "Let's go see the wolves!" she spins in a circle, arms spread wide, her white dress kissing the dirt floor. With a cheeky grin, she dances from them and runs to the mouth of the cave.

Henrik mirrors her actions, his laugh echoing throughout the limestone walls.

Niklaus shakes his head, unable to hide the excitement arising inside. His deep chuckles follow their steps.

The previous blue cloudless sky evaporates, a hazy white mist takes place, drifting along the ground, travelling to their feet. The stars and full moon enhance the dark obscurity. The cold chill rises goosebumps upon their bear arms. No sooner did the first howl cut through the silence did their hearts pound against their chests, and the trio clutch hands, stepping back into the cavern as more howls pierce the air.

A pit gathers in the girl's stomach as a pair of glowing eyes meet hers, just behind the eerie shadowed trees. Her grip tightens as she moves backwards, each step, a large dark mass follows.

"Nik!" she panics, pushing her brothers behind her as it progresses nearer.

Nik yells as he trips on a tree branch in his alarm, scraping his knees on the hard ground. Eyeing the object, Darcella shoves Henrik back, causing him to stumble and fall. She dives to the side and grips the wood while Niklaus attempts to scramble to his feet.

Sorry, brother.

Darcella hurls her arms back and smacks the wood on the back of his head, the force knocking him onto his face and giving the wolf the opening to strike. Its growls reverberating, sharp teeth glistening as it stands on its haunches and pounces over the fair-haired form and onto Darcella. She swings to beat the starving creature, only to drop the stick and land on her back. Screams spill past her gaped mouth as teeth latch onto her shoulder.

"Darcella!" Henrik cries, diverting the wolf's attention to him.

"Darcella!..." Niklaus feels his heart drop to his feet. He wastes no time snatching the stick off the ground, preparing to beat the beast as it stalks closer to the younger boy. His eyes fall on his wounded sister, lacerations and blood littering her slight frame. He starts to move to her side but stops at her choked gasps as she drags herself to her feet, hands clutching her bloodied shoulder.