5 Years

Ani POV

I was sitting in the backyard, reading over some notes I made on a recent patient when Jessika called, "Hello?"

"Hey mom.  Are you and mama at the house?" She asked.  It was obvious that she was driving.  The twins had graduated and are in college now.  Jaelynn is 26 and is pregnant with her second baby.

"Yes," I said, "why?"

"Wanna get breakfast?" She asked.

Putting down the notes, I took my reading glasses off and huffed, "As long as we aren't going to a diner.  I may be 42 now but that doesn't mean I'm an old lady."

"You are a grandma," she teased.

"Fuck off," I said, hearing her laugh, "I'll go get Cassie.  Drive safely here."

"Of course," she said and hung up.  Going inside, I made sure to lock both locks on the back door before heading up the stairs.  My long black skirt almost made me trip so I had to hitch it up a bit. 

Cassie was painting in the twins old bedroom.  She took up the hobby about three years ago.  It helps her keep her mind active and spirits up.  Knocking on the door, she glances over and smiles, "Yes?"

Her hair is completely braided but loose.  Strands fell all around her.  She had a few wrinkles by her eyes but nothing drastic.  She was thinner now and a tad bit paler.  She wore light makeup and was in a white summer dress.  "Jessika wants to grab breakfast," I said, admiring her.

Her face went into a frown, "If it's a diner I'm killing her."  We both chuckled but I went over and helped her up. 

We went and got our shoes and purses.  When we got downstairs, Jessika had just pulled in. "Ready?" She called from the window.

I flipped her off while Cassie lectured me.

We went to a pancake house so there was many families.  I enjoyed watching little kids smiling and laughing, the parents enjoying them and each other.  Jakob was coming over as well, so Cassie was excited.  Putting my reading glasses on again, I glanced through the menu.  "I'm thinking of studying aboard," Jessika said.

I glanced up but Cassie spoke, "Where at?"

"I'm thinking Iceland or Norway," she said, "their research is light years from ours... I think it'll be fun."

"For a year?" I asked.

"Of course," she said, "though I have thought of two."

"Do what makes you happy," Cassie and I said at the same time, giving each other a nudge.

Jessika chuckled, "Same as always.  When I said I wanted to be a stripper you two just nodded."

"Well I knew you could never be a stripper," I said, "too many people staring... you hate thongs as well."

"Thanks for announcing that mom," Jessika shook her head, Cassie nudged my ribs, and I just chuckled.

"Make sure to calls us.  I want to hear all about your adventures," Cassie said, tapping her index finger on Jessika's hand.  Jessika smiled.  It was obvious she was nervous about telling us.

But the one she should be the most afraid of is a certain fellow.

Jakob came in wearing a navy blue button down with high waisted black jeans.  Giving Cassie a kiss on the cheek and a hug to me, he took a seat beside Jessika, "You invited me... who did you kill?"

"Shut up," she flicked him but he just laughed. Cassie glanced at me, telling me she was anxious about Jakob'a reaction.  "How is Genesis?" Jessika asked.

"She's good, tired a lot," he shrugged.

"I bet," she put down her menu and watched Jakob.  When he was busy reading she broke the news, "I'm going to study aboard in Norway or Iceland for a year."

He didn't register it for a couple seconds but when his brain caught up, he looked over at her... staring, "Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"Do they agree?" He asked her.  He could have just asked us... spoiled child.  I'm kicking his ass later.

"Yep," she said.

He gawked at her for a couple of minutes, put down the menu and leaned back, really gazing at her.  They both stared at one another, communicating to one another silently... sorta reminded me of the two sisters on Kakegurui.  The blue haired ones who made up a language with movements to communicate... fucking weird.

Suddenly Jakob sighs, "Fine but you better call me everyday."

"Okay dad," she teased but she was happy with his approval.  Jessika has grown into her own person these last five years.  She doesn't exactly need permission, but she likes it when we're all in agreement.  Even if Jakob said no, she would have still gone. 

She's much more fierce than I was or Cassie.  She speaks when she thinks she needs to and doesn't degrade others anymore.  I'm proud of her growth and I'm happy to see it.

Cassie coughed a couple times, "Sorry, water went down the wrong pipe."

"No croaking on us yet mama," Jakob said, "I haven't had any kids!"

"I know," she smiled, putting her head on my shoulder, "plus... who'll keep this grumpy old woman company?"

"Definitely not me," Jessika said, "mom is too grouchy for me."  I kicked her under the table and everyone laughed. 

As I sipped my coffee, I said, "Next weekend let's all go out to breakfast.... Let's invite the Wong family then." 

A FEW MORE UPDATES AND WE'RE DONE!

Thank you for joining me on this journey.  As I've stated before, this book will be the end of Ani's and Cassie's story.  Any GxG book I make after this will be about a new couple.

I hope you have fell in love with these characters and have enjoyed your time with me.  After I finish this book, I will publish my fantasy novel.

Because I love you so much, here is the synopsis!

How long are the days of servants?

From dusk til dawn. They serve and serve. Their feet get red and blistered, their hands rough and thin, their faces sunburned, and their dresses covered in homemade stitches.

But how long are the days of slaves?

All hours of the day. They rest never, for they constantly are looking over their shoulders. Their feet have holes and bleed from the cracks, their hands are black from work and are covered in scars, their faces are slim and greasy from the lack of food and have sweat all over them, and their clothes bare rips and holes - for they are hated so deeply that they aren't blessed with string to mend them.

The life of a servant isn't easy, but they still get paid, properly fed, and clothed. While the life of a slave is wage-less and endless.

But my life would change... no longer would I be a slave to the duke... but I would a slave his majesty.

Though the genre is different, my writing techniques are the same. This books beginning will be nothing like It's end. No matter what your predictions are on how the ending will be, I promise it'll be something entirely different!!!