This Family

Cassie POV

"So that's what happened," she sighed, leaning back against the headboard, "I started the fight." I didn't know how to process all that information... I wasn't sure what I was even feeling. "Oh, don't be worried about what she said though. I talked to Jeremiah and he said he would help me find a great defense attorney. I also recorded the conversation, so I could use it in court to say she was blackmailing me. Also, I was unaware of such information - such as the assault charge that was on you due to a past altercation, so I didn't fabricate anything on the paperwork. When I filled out the paperwork, I filled it out with the adoption agency and they have it recorded so we'll just use that if need be."

"What about the kids? Will they take the kids away? What about you?" I asked, "What if she presses charges on physical assault?"

"In California, at 14 a child can tell a judge who they want to live with. Of course the judge doesn't have to agree but since we have raised the twins since they were toddlers, I doubt the judge would rule in opposition. We also have had six visits from the adoption agency to make sure everything was going well and they have reported that we had a 'healthy end loving home'. So we can also use that. For the physical assault thing. You can hear in the audio that Jennifer did touch me so I can just say she sexually assaulted me and I feared for my life, so I resorted in defense." Taking a seat, I just marinate in all the information she had given me... then suddenly I begin to cry. "Why are you crying?" She asked.

"Do you know how fucking worried I was?" I asked, wiping my tears, "The kids and I were watching Maleficent and eating popcorn when suddenly I get a fucking call from Jaelynn, telling me to come to the hospital because you were assaulted... I thought you were on your fucking deathbed!"

She chuckled, "This? This is nothing compared to what we went through." I looked up at her, feeling a little guilty. "I don't mean the physical shit we've been through... Cassie, our life has always been a fucking rollercoaster. Ups and downs, ups and downs... at this point the world needs to blow up before I end up dying," she joked, making me laugh a little as I wiped my tears. My nose felt all weird from all my sniffling.

"Don't start fights anymore... you've always been a twig that can be knocked over easily... if you're going to get in a fight at least let me be around... I can handle a punch of two," I joked back, making her chuckle. Getting up, I walked over to her and looked at her face, "Does it hurt?"

"A little... I've never been good with pain," she said.

"Want me to get the nurse?" I asked.

"Nah," she said, smiling at me, "I just want my family around me right now."

I felt this rush of emotions. I wanted to embrace her, tell her I love her and kiss her. I wanted to just be with her... be Cassie and Ani, but a knock came onto the door and I tidied myself up as the kids came in. To Antonia's surprise, the twins rushed in and flew onto her. I stepped back to allow Peter and Jaelynn to come in.

"Are you okay mom?" Jakob asked.

"You beat the other person up, right?" Jessika asked, "We ain't bitches!"

Jakob slapped Jessika's head, making us all laugh, "Are you stupid? She's literally in pain and that's what you ask?"

"I'm failing math Jakob... of course I'm fucking stupid," she shot back, making Antonia laugh a little too hard - making her cough a bit. "But are you okay mom?" Jessika asked, sitting normally on the bed beside her, "You don't look that great."

"I'm fine," she said, "no need to worry. Sorry that I interrupted your popcorn and Maleficent time."

"You we're watching Maleficent?" Jaelynn asked, "Without me!"

"The world doesn't revolve around you Jaelynn!" Jessika said. Jaelynn grabbed her by her hair and those two fought for a good half an hour. Jakob helped Antonia with water and anything she needed. Peter tried to convince Jaelynn to stop but that was useless.

I took the opportunity to step out into the hallway. Crouching down, I silently let myself cry a little. The relief was just washing over me. Panic, fear, pain, anger, sadness, worry, concern... all of it was festering in me every second I was driving here... I was finally able to breathe after seeing her be okay.

"Coffee?" I glanced up to see Jeremiah. Standing up, I nodded and took a seat on the bench across the door. He sat beside me, "Jennifer went to the house because she was let off today... apparently the firm so happen to find out that Jennifer was playing dirty in court sessions."

"How did they find out?" I asked, holding the warm cup between both of my hands.

"I so happened to be walking past her desk... and her drawer that had two locks on it just so happened to be busted and the documents she had stuffed into the very so happened to be laying out on top for my eyes to see," he grinned, making me chuckle. He pushed his knee on mine, "Norma wanted to come but someone needed to stay with the kids."

"We understand," I said, "having you here is enough... thank you for everything."

"I love Ani like a sister. She means the absolute world to me," he said, scooting in a bit, "and you know she loves you Cassidy... yeah, she lost herself for a bit but... she loves you and those kids more than anything in this world."

"I know," I muttered.

"Be patient with her," he said, "be forgiving and understanding. Though she's stubborn, dumb at moments, and blind to her toxicity... Ani never means to harm anyone. She stupidly cornered herself because she thought that would make her stronger... please... please be kind to her Cassie. She needs you and those kids more than ever."

The door to the room was shoved open by Jessika and Jakob, who both had mischievous smiles on their faces, "Mom wants to get Dairy Queen!"

Laughing, I thought to myself:

Nothing is worth more than this family.