His Daughter

For the upcoming chapters, there will be many references to abuse (all kinds - even sexual abuse), suicide/depression, drug use, and victim blaming. Please do not read the next few chapters unless you are mentally prepared to face those topics. In a later chapter, I will post what was discussed and explain what happened in a non-detailed version for those who choose to skip those chapters.

Ani Pov

"Okay... okay, so now it's ten minutes?  No... wait... wait yeah... actually, no yeah that right," I mumbled to myself as I placed the pan back into the stove.  Today was meatloaf night and I'm trying to make it just like how Cassie did...

The problem is... I'm awful at cooking.

"So do I just wait or start something else?" I glance back at the book, sucking on my lip.  Then my phone went off.  Rushing over, I answered without looking, "Hello?"

"Open the door," I stopped for a moment, "uh, can you hurry up? This shit is heavy."

"Oh okay," I rushed over and opened it up for Jennifer. She was holding a bunch of bags that were filled with groceries, "What is all of this?"

"Dinner," she placed on the counter and washed her hands, "you said you couldn't cook so when you emailed Amanda on what to do, I knew to come help." Awkwardly, I watched her start prepping things, "You need to mix all the ingredients before forming the meat... also... this meat is spoiled."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"It's slimy," she said, cracking a smile. She noticed how uncomfortable I felt, so she leaned down and pecked my lips, "It's all good, I'm here to help and then I'll leave."

"But Jennifer... Cassie and I-" "I know," she mumbled, "but I also know you'll choose the right person." We held gazes for a moment and then she went back to cooking - teaching me every step.

Washing our hands, I chuckled at her little jokes, "I think the kids will actually like this."

"It's edible," she said, wiping down the counters,. I joined her; most of the time she was just pulling slick moves to give me a kiss and I was a giggling mess. Suddenly she picked me up and put me on the counter, "I missed you."

For moment, I hesitated to wrap my arms around her. I felt guilt and pain shoot through me: making me come to a screeching halt. A piece of me felt that I need to create distance, to keep her away...

Because I can feel the distance between Cassie and I growing. I feel it ripping her away and causing me to be alone... to be useless...

For what am I if I'm not useful?

"Antonia?" I snapped out of it as Jennifer kissed my forehead, "What are you thinking about?"

Cassie

"Work," I lied, "I don't really know what's going on."

"Don't worry about that. You need a break once in a while," she rested her head on my shoulder, leaving little kisses, "so what were you really thinking about?"

How can I spill my heart to you? Crack it open and just pour it into your hands. How do I know there are no holes, cracks, or tricks? No means to hurt me... no means to abandon me. How do I know?

How can I trust someone who isn't trustable?

Love someone who is unlovable?

Follow someone who is only a follower?

So I smiled and kissed her forehead, "I missed you..."

~

Cassie Pov

I was finishing up another shift, cleaning the mats and floors. As I packed up, I checked to see I had time to go shower at the hotel and then head out. Quickly I drove home, listening to the light tunes of some bee singer.

It was odd, working and not living for someone else. There were moments that I enjoyed such simplicity and others that I craved the chaos of a household. But everyday, I could feel it, I was becoming stronger and stronger. I understood life more - how to care for myself and the kids. I was getting more freedoms with Shelby - she promoted me to be assistant director. Now I was assigning schedules and picking out classes.

Seeing how Shelby was running her studio, I was becoming interested in making my own. Instead of teaching dance, I should open my own studio and hire teachers. I can even install a relax center where people can sign up to go through spa treatments and such.

Shelby offered to help, but recommended I learn a bit more before venturing too far... I agree.

Once I pulled up to the building, I grabbed the files and headed inside. It was smaller than I remember... still covered in windows and had tons of people in suits. His name all over the walls and his picture on every floor. It seemed cult-like.

But I just chuckled.

Heading to the front desk, I waited for the lady, "Hi, my name is Chelsea and how can I help you?"

"I would like to speak to the CEO," I said.

"I'm sorry, but do you have a reservation?"

I chuckled, "I don't need one."

"You do ma'am," she sighed, looking for security.

"Go ahead and call him," I stared her down, giving her a big ass grin, "tell him his daughter, Cassidy Meryl, is here."

Sorry for all the late updates!

I am crazy busy and won't be able to update as much, but I will try to put one chapter out each day!

I hope you enjoyed it!