Jaelynn's Mind

Insta: @Welcomelovelies

JAELYNN'S POV

"Then treat her better... stop making excuses and tell the fucking truth.  If you continue hiding whatever happened between Jennifer and you, Cassidy will only bury herself more and more in a hole of misery.  Fix it, immediately... Cause if you don't Antonia... Cassidy will never be able to leave this facility," I heard from the wall on the other side. Before Dr. Martin could catch me listening in, I swiftly left the hallway and went outside for some air.

What the fuck is mom thinking? What the fuck happened with that woman? Taking a seat on one of the benches, I just stared at the cloudless sky... as if it was sending a message.

I noticed it a while ago... the night mom didn't come back home for the first time. That whole night mama was pacing, holding her phone near to her heart. Since I was so focused on my tests coming up I didn't have time to give to mama...

Then that woman came... Jennifer... who the fuck is she?

Pulling out my phone, I find Mr. Kendrick's number. Should I call him? Mom only said to call him if issues happened while she was away... but mom... I can't trust her right now.

So I called.

"Good afternoon, this is Jeremiah Kendrick," he said.

"Um... Mr. Kendrick, this is Jaelynn Knox-Meryl," I played with my bracelet.

"Oh Jaelynn! It's been so long since I've seen you! Antonia says your studying criminology, that's amazing. I wanted to do that at one point but I couldn't stomach the craziness," he joked. Mr. Kendrick was always very nice to us kids. His smile reminded me of my dad sometimes....

Truth is, in high school I was madly in-love with him. I was even heartbroken when he got married and had kids.

But that's all in the past.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, bringing me back to the present.

"Yeah! I... actually I wanted to ask you about some stuff," I said, looking over my shoulder to make sure mom wasn't around, "do you happened to know a woman who is working with my mom? Her name is Jennifer."

Silence...

I waited a couple of seconds, "Mr. Kendrick?"

"I really don't think this is appropriate Jaelynn," he said. My eyes widen at his comment. "Our cases and work must be kept confidential so I'm not sure if I can even share that information until the trial is over. I don't want to get your mom in trouble," he chuckled, "it's hard doing our work. You'll know one day."

"Yeah.. your right," I twisted my bracelet so much, the skin under it was even turning right red, "well thank you. Tell your wife I say hi!"

"Of course, stay safe," he hung up. My hands fell into my lap, my eyes stuck on the concrete now.

Even Mr. Kendrick knows something is going on.

Without knowing, I twisted my bracelet too much and ended up having it break. Quickly I crouched down and collected all the beads, when a memory flashed by.

"Jaelynn!" My name was being shouted from the right of me. Glancing over, I see Jessika and Jakob trying to drown each other in the water. Jessika had just got her brand-new blue and purple swimsuit that matched Jakob. Everything those two wore was identical to each other.

"Baby! Over here!" I was called again from the same direction. Twisting my head a little further I saw mama waving at me like crazy, running to me. She was in a one-piece that was white. She had a big yellow hat on that flopped with every step. Behind her was mom. She was wearing a black two piece that didn't show her stomach.

Mom had what seemed like dirt on her and by the look on mama's face, it was her fault. Rushing to them, I saw as mom picked up mama and dragged her into the water.

Playing along, I shouted, "Mama! I'll save you! Jessika! Jakob! Come help!" We all charged over and pretended to battle mom to save mama.

We were all smiling, laughing... enjoying our time at the beach.

The first time we went as a family.

"Jaelynn!" I was startled at the shouting. Looking up it was mom. She looked scared, very scared. She crouched beside me, taking my face in her hands, "Jaelynn, what's wrong? Baby, what's wrong?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Your sobbing Jaelynn," she said.

I'm sobbing?

Why am I crying?

But before I could figure it out or deny anything, I fell into a deeper hole of crying. This time throwing myself onto her, "Mom... mom please make everything better... please... I can't lose this family too... I can't lose mama or you, mom... please fix it... please."

I felt her rub my head and whisper, "I will baby... I will."