My Fear

After Cassie's episode, she was acting different for about a week.  The kids noticed quickly and I informed them that their mama just needed to think for a little while.  During the day she interacts with the kids normally, though she was caught staring out windows more often than usual.  At night, however, she would lock herself in our room.  There had been multiple nights when I had to sleep on the couch.  If we spoke, it was about the children or what the house needed. 

It was as if we both were coworkers.

I couldn't focus on my work, constantly fucking up the reports.  I felt like I needed a drink, but it was only seven AM and the last time I drank anything... yea, I don't need any more issues.  While I was deleting everything and trying to write a comprehensible report, Jeremiah plopped down beside me, "Don't you look peaceful."

"Choke on a dick and die," I replied.

"Damn!  What's wrong?" He took one of my files and assisted me, "Cassie not okay?"

"Would you be?" I replied, leaning back in my chair and taking a moment, "I'm afraid."

"Of?"

"Her," I mumbled.

He stopped typing and turned to me, "Do you think she will... you know."

"I'm not scared of that Jeremiah," I said, using my index and middle finger to rub my head, "I'm afraid of what she is doing to herself.  Cassie has a tendency to overthink, blame herself, and come up with irrational thoughts.  If she dissociates, I'm afraid she may end up hurting herself."  He nodded along, rubbing his lips.  No longer wanting to indulge him with my issues, I asked, "How's the family?"

"Norma wants me to take some time off and spend time at home," he huffed, "but I'm packed with cases and cilents.  I can't even imagine getting an afternoon off." We both knew that life.  Our lives were made for work and a couple hours with our families.  Outside of that, it was non-existant.

"How are the kids?"

"Crazy," he chuckled, "could you imagine taking care of five children all younger than ten... I don't know how Norma does it."

"Plus they have your DNA," I shuddered, "woman deserves a noble peace prize."  He shoved me, making me chuckle.  From my desk I had a clear view of the elevator and when those doors opened, out stepped Jennifer.  "You used to practice law, right?" I asked Jeremiah.

"Yes."

"Can you be my defence after I skin Jennifer alive?" I gritted.

He flicked my forehead and said, "Sure, but it's gonna cost you a pretty penny."  Rolling my eyes at him, I watched as she made her way over.  "Good morning Costa," Jeremiah said with tone, "last time I checked, your office is on a different floor."

"And last I checked your desk was over elsewhere," she smiled.  I was still staring at her though, in shock.  She was blonde now... she dyed her hair.  Why did she dye it?  "What's wrong Ani?" She lowered herself, making it painfully obvious that she wanted her breast to be seen, "Is there something you like?"

"I'm just curious what I did in my past life to end up with you in my current one," I lifted a folder to block the ironingboard in front of me, "what are you here for?  If you have nothing to talk about professionally, please excuse yourself."

She held a file in front of my face, making me intrigued.  Inside was a picture of a young girl, a nine year, and her past... it made me want to puke.  "I need you to prove that this child has been abused," she said.

Glancing up at her I asked, "How do people not think she was abused?  There is physical evidence of it!"

"I need you to prove that her family abused her," she said, straightening herself finally, "they are all trying to say she received all of this from a neighbor."