But... why?

The whole camp knows David is practically immune to being hurt by a bus. Or at least they thought so until everyone heard a sickening crack and David got hit, could barely feel his legs, and passed out. (Getting back to daily writing, feeling good)

------

"Out of the way dipstick!" Max shouted out of the bus window from the driver's seat as he hurled towards the tree that David was standing right in front of. He looked like a deer in headlights until he was hit and fell over forward and the bus hit the tree. As much as they would have preferred it been the tree that had cracked they all knew it was David's back that had just let out that sickening sound. It was when the bus's delayed airbag had let go that everyone had been brought back to their senses to the situation at hand. The bus doors opened and Max jumped out almost scratch free but with a worried look on his face. "David!"

Gwen pulled Max away from under the bus which he was trying to crawl underneath.

"Max it's going to be okay," She said soothingly. "Kids! Help me flip the bus we need to get David out," She continued and the children began flipping the bus as soon as she said help. Once they finally flipped the bus they saw David passed out and looking mostly un-harmed. They dragged him to the councilors cabin and Max had gotten his persona of disinterest back.

x+x+x+x+x+x+x

David woke up and looked around the room, instantly recognizing where he was. He looked towards the window and saw it was dark out. He wondered how strange the situation was and when he tried to think back his mind was fogged by clouds.

"Good evening," Gwen said, turning off the tv when she realized he was awake and partially sat up.

"Hello, Gwen!" He greeted cheerfully and fully sat up. He lifted the blanket that had been gently placed over him and tried to stand up to walk over to his co councilor. "Agh!" He sounded when he hit the floor and his legs were still partially laid on the bed. The sound had woken up Max who was sleeping on Gwen's bed like a cat. 

"David!" He shouted with some obvious cheer in his voice as he looked over at the side of the bed. "You didn't die!"

"I am confused," David said simply, still on the floor but looking up at Max. Max hopped off the bed and Gwen had begun to help David back onto the bed.

"How long do you want the story?" Gwen asked.

"As much as I love a good story I'd like to understand the situation now thank you," David replied and Gwen took a deep breath while Max sat beside him seeming regretful. David absent-mindedly patted his hair. 

"Alright, so Max decided it was a good idea to drive the bus then it got out of control, he hit you then hit a tree," Gwen said quickly.

"Are you okay Max?" David asks Max who looked close to tears.

"No," He said and David put his arm around him in comfort.

"So is that it?" David asked Gwen continuing to rub Max's head comfortingly.

"Yeah," 

"Hey kiddo why don't you go to your tent!" David says and Max nods not wanting to be a pill... as of today, might change tomorrow. Once the door was shut behind Max and he heard the receding footsteps, David looked at Gwen with a tired look. "I think now is a good time to mention I can't really feel my legs." 

"What?" Gwen replied quietly.  Silence fell over the room. "Please tell me you are joking David," She started to tear up and David looked toward the ceiling with a tight smile looking nearly flawless through all his practice.

"Nope," He whispered back.

"We need to go to the doctors," 

"It's gonna have to be now and we need to be back by morning," David replied and Gwen nodded.

(A/N K so I don't know what to do rn and I am kinda done with this AU but I want to give y'all a bonus)

The rest of the summer Max had stood by David at nearly all times in case he fell over if his crutches ever decided to fail him. Of course, that wasn't too much of a worry and Gwen mostly had David stay inside much to David's disagreement. As the summer went on David felt more tired and missed being outside and directing activities. On the bright side, the kids sometimes decided to have inside days in the Mess Hall. Nikki would bring in the dirt, along with other assorted outside things, and spread it around David. Preston would rehearse in front of David for critiquing, Harrison would do magic shows and Nerris would teach him the basics of her roleplay games. 

Then on nights when all of the energy of the day had faded David and Space kid would stargaze and would share all that they knew about the vast void of the universe.

Oh hey if forgot I finished this!

Alright, that's really all I can do right now. PLEASE REQUEST ONE-SHOTS MY BRIAN IS NEARLY DRY! (Misspelled on purpose)

Thank you and hope you enjoyed also constructive criticism is always appreciated!