38 | distance & feelings

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jeongguk asked, looking over at his father who was sitting on his chair and was staring at the riddle in the book.

"with blood and gold
& a promise in hold
be what you need to be
but beware, your soul
will not be yours to keep"

He read for the tenth time now and cautiously glanced around before shutting his eyes close mumbling to himself, "With what you need to be must mean shapeshifter."

"Okay yes that makes sense, shapeshifter. The yellow eyes belong to the man who can do that," Jeongguk's thoughts clicked, "If that's the case, his soul is not his to keep anymore that means he offered himself to something in exchange of this power."

"Dark powers, that's what it is." Jonhan massaged his own temples and looked at his son who was figuring out the riddle, piece by piece.

"With blood and gold means for this ritual, he had to get those two, he had to offer his soul and had to make a promise to get this ability," Jeongguk explained what he understood and his father nodded, "Yes, that explains."

"And whoever it is alive for a purpose, after it's done, this ritual will take his soul and I have a strong feeling, Hansung knows about this." Jonhan said what he had on his mind from the day since he visited his former best friend's house.

Jeongguk didn't say anything and stayed quiet because he kind of agreed with his father.

His boyfriend's father was being shady and himself said whatever is happening doesn't make him worry at all and whoever it is won't hurt him.

That leads to only one conclusion and that must be because he knows the one behind this, really well.

"Don't tell Taehyung about this, whatever the matter is Hansung is his father and he will obviously feel bad thinking he might be involved," the older man suggested, pushing his glasses up his nose bridge after closing that book and locking it in his table drawer.

"I will keep it with me, son. The less people know about this the better for now."

"Yeah okay but Taehyung needs to know about this someday right?" the blond said resting his back on the chair he was sitting on, "If Mr. Kim is actually involved in this, Taehyung should know and have to be cautious."

"I can't let him be in any danger, dad." Jeongguk sucked in a sharp breath, anxiety building up and he was now worried.

"But we aren't very sure about this, on the basis of some assumptions we can't just accuse him of something and if this turned out to be wrong, what will Taehyung will think of us. Think about the guilt he will be under. So just wait for some time before anything," his father tried to make him understand and Jeongguk understood.

"You're right."

"But be careful, Jeongguk. Hansung doesn't like you because his son is dating you against his will. He will never harm Taehyung but you- just be careful son and if possible for some days, stay a little away from him. I know this sounds absurd but son I just don't want you in trouble, I want you safe."

"Dad I get what you're saying but this isn't the actual solution. Staying away from him will do nothing but create distances between us." Jeongguk didn't like the idea one bit even though his father actually did have a point.

"Jeongguk, you were attacked once in the past, it was that shapeshifter if you forgot. Look I am not saying that Taehyung is bad or anything, it's just his father is so after me and you, it's dangerous to keep getting close to him when he doesn't like it. It's just for some days, until we catch this man."

"Dad, I get you but our relationship is already so complicated. We never were on good terms and your rivalry with this dad is also between us. Even if we are trying to get close to each other, there's something that's holding us back, we still have to go a long way and this distancing, it will be the end of us and I can't afford it, dad. I might have just fallen for him a little too hard to even think about that, no."