The Locket

Last chapter! Check out my page for more details on what is next! Thank you all so much for the love <3

The next few days were a blur. Ron wasn't speaking to Victoria and Harry wasn't speaking to Ron. Everything seemed to be moving fast and slow at the same time. Because both boys were acting like children, Hermione and Victoria decided to keep to themselves and get everything ready to leave.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were less than thrilled to learn the four of them had no intention to return to school and couldn't even share what Dumbledore's secret mission was with them. Somehow Hermione and Victoria had managed to avoid their constant question, but Ron and Harry were not so lucky.

It finally came to the night before the four of them were to set off. The first stop on their list was to find the locket of Slytherin. This was the only real lead that have following the follow of Dumbledore. It was their best guess, and they knew the task ahead was no easy one.

It was around midnight when a loud thud broke Victoria out of her train of thought. She was just going over her and Hermione's checklist one more time when the noise sounded from behind her. Whether it was out of instinct or fear, she did not know but she drew her wand and quickly turned around to come face to face with Ron.

"Ron," Victoria said very slowly. She decided it would be in her best interest to not lower he wand or relax based on their last encounter.

"I-I didn't mean to scare you," Ron said while eyeing Victoria's outstretched wand. "I just came to see if you- uh, needed any help?"

Victoria lowered her wand and eyed Ron cautiously.

Sensing that she was uneasy, Ron took a step toward her which she returned with a step back.

Ron sighed and ran fingers through his ginger hair. "I guess I deserve that. I'm not here to yell at you or hurt you, Victoria." He slumped down in the chair closest to the fire and started into it for a moment. Victoria just watched him. She wanted to hug him and tell him that it was okay, but she knew if they were ever going to get past him not trusting her, he needed to say his piece.

"I'm scared." Ron said without diverting his eyes from the fire.

Victoria inhaled and walked to sit next the chair he was in. For a moment she didn't say anything, just leaving both to weigh what lie ahead of them.

"I know that isn't what a Gryffindor is supposed to say, I know that I don't need to say that I am, but I'm terrified of what we are about to get into. I am terrified of what is going to happen to my family, my friends, my entire world." Ron's voice croaked as he spoke. Victoria still couldn't find the right words to say so she just looked up at him.

Feeling her gaze on him, Ron turned and said, "I just don't want to lose anyone, and Mad-eye was the first of what I'm scared is going to many." A tear trickled down his check as he finished.

Victoria just nodded and took a deep breath before speaking. "You have every reason to be scared, Ron. Nobody should not be scared with what is coming. I'm scared too."

Ron didn't say anything and got up to leave, Victoria followed. Before he could walk out the door Victoria grabbed his wrist and said, "Ron." He turned to face her, she still held onto his wrist. "When I was old enough to understand that my father was gone forever, I got really upset and went through a stage of not wanting to speak to anyone. Sirius became aware of this and something he said to me has stuck forever.

He said, "The ones that love us never really leave us. You can always find them, in here." Victoria pointed to her heart with her free hand and squeezed Ron's with her other.

For a moment he didn't say anything, he just looked at her. Then he leaned in and hugged her before heading upstairs.

Victoria sighed and squeezed her hand over the locket her father had left her.