The Chance

Draco stood there and looked at her for a moment before speaking again. She just stared back at him, not daring to speak when he looked this angry.

"Why?" Draco asked. "What did I do that made you want to be in Gryffindor?" Victoria was expecting his voice to be much harsher than it was. He wouldn't look at her now and had started pacing back and forth.

"I- what?" Victoria was confused at this change in behavior. "I didn't pick Gryffindor, Draco. It was where I was sorted."

Draco stopped pacing and looked at her. "Don't lie to me, you know I know when you are lying."

Victoria sighed, "Draco, I am not lying. The sorting hat put me in Gryffindor because it's where I belong."

"And being in Gryffindor automatically makes you friends with Potter and all his little friends?" His harsh tone was back now and he took a couple steps toward Victoria again. "It's one thing to be sorted into that house, but to be friends with people like that," he scoffed. "You must have a death wish."

"Draco, they've been good to me so far. I honestly don't understand why you can't just get along with them." Victoria took a defensive tone now. She wasn't going to let Draco talk her out of the first real friends she had made.

He took another step closer to her, they were only inches apart now. "Let me guess, you like Potter? Think he's so great, do you? Do you remember that he tried to kill my father??" He had raised his voice now and a couple of students passing by looked their way, but quickly kept walking seeing who it was.

"I think he is good, yes," said Victoria flatly. "If you would just give them all a chance –"

But Victoria couldn't get another word out because Draco had enough and grabbed her arms and pinned her against the wall again. "Don't you ever lecture me about giving Potter a chance." He spoke in a low voice and tightened his grip on her arms as he spoke. She winced at the pain but didn't dare speak.

"Do you think I had a chance to not take the mark? Do you think I had chance not to honor my family name? Do you think I was given any chances?" He shook her with each question and tears began to well in her eyes as he did.

Victoria nodded her head slowly no. "I-I'm sorry," she said. The tears had started to fall now, she couldn't help it.

Draco seeing the pain and fear he was causing the one person in his life who cared about him most, released her quickly and said, "I'm sorry, it's just with everything I have going on right now," he paused for a moment and looked her in her eyes. Victoria saw a tear trickle down his face. "I just can't lose you too. I can't protect you in Gryffindor and I surely can't protect you if you are friends with Potter."

Victoria wiped away the tears on her face with her sleeve. "Dray, it's okay. We can still look out for each other, no matter what house or who we are friends with." Draco shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair. "Just trust me, okay? We are always there when we need each other most." begged Victoria.

Draco looked at her for a moment and then said, "I trust you more than anyone, but I can't lose you and my parents. Please stay out of trouble?" 

Victoria smiled, "Of course, when do I ever get in trouble?" 

Draco scoffed and smiled, "Trouble always finds you." 

Victoria whispered to herself, "Not the first time I have heard that today." 

"What was that?" asked Draco. 

"Oh nothing, we should probably get back to breakfast before Ron comes back out here with an army." 

Draco just nodded and walked off towards the Great Hall. Victoria stayed back for a moment and rolled her sleeve up to examine the places on her arm. "Great," she muttered to herself. She made sure her shirt sleeves were covering the fresh marks on her arms before heading back into the now full Great Hall.

She walked to where Harry, Hermione and Ron were sitting only to see them standing up to leave. "Oh, are you done? Sorry I took so long." Victoria smiled at three of them, but they just looked at her curiously. 

"We were coming to make sure you were alright," said Hermione. "Ron told us what happened." 

Her cheeks flushed red, she could feel it. "I'm fine," she said somewhat harshly. She saw Ron look at Hermione and then back at Harry. Victoria spoke again, "Really, I am. We sorted it all out. I really appreciate the concern though." She smiled at them put they all continued to just look at her. She absent mindedly reached for the place on her arm where Draco had grabbed her. 

"You sure everything is okay?" asked Harry. He looked at where she was touching her arm and she immediately withdrew her hand. 

"Yup, so what is the plan for today?" Victoria asked the question a little more quickly than she meant to because she could see Harry was still not convinced, but Ron and Hermione didn't seem to notice. 

"Well Harry and I have to be getting on to quidditch trials." Ron looked a little uneasy as he said it. 

Harry was still eyeing Victoria, but she refused to look at him. He knew. He had to know that everything didn't go great with Draco. Victoria knew she'd probably have to deal with it later. 

"I was going to go watch these two make a fool of themselves, care to join?" Hermione said smiling. 

"Love too," said Victoria returning Hermione's grin.