The Attack

Victoria woke to a loud noise coming from outside the shed. She sat upright and looked beside her to see Harry lying soundlessly asleep next to her. She glanced around the shed for a moment, trying to find the source of the noise.

Quietly, she rose out of the bed and walked over to the window. She glanced out of it and saw a flash of light coming from the middle of the yard. Just as she was about to turn and wake Harry, another flash of light appeared and she saw two hooded masked figures walking around the yard, as if waiting for someone else. She knew the mask all too well, they were death eater mask.

Victoria turned and started shaking Harry's shoulder.

"Harry!" she whisper yelled while shaking him. He sat up quickly and looked around the shed.

"What, what? What's going on?" He said in a frantic voice while reaching for his wand.

Victoria held her finger to her lips and pointed towards the window. He got out of bed and followed her over to the window where she had just seen the masked figures appear. Strangely though, the yard was empty. Victoria rubbed her eyes to make sure she wasn't seeing anything.

"What was it," Harry asked while still gazing outside.

"Death eaters," Victoria said still in a whisper. "I swore I just saw appear in the yard but I don't know where-"

But Victoria didn't get to finish her sentence because at that exact moment a burst of green light caused the door to fly open.

Harry pulled Victoria to the ground just in time. One of the masked figures stood looking at them through the doorway. Victoria knew instantly who it was and rose to face her cousin. She knew by the shape of the wand that had just fired a spell at her and Harry.

"Draco, what the bloody hell is wrong with you!" she yelled while advancing on the figure. She had drawn her wand now and had it pointed right at his chest. Before either of them could act though Victoria felt a stinging pain run throughout her body. It made her whole body tense up and she felt as though her whole body was about to break. Someone had hit her with the cruciatus curse. She fell to the floor in pain and her vision blurred.

She made to grab her wand, but it was no use. The pain had rippled through out her whole body and she could feel herself close to passing out. Just as she didn't think she would last much longer, the pain started to lessen. She still couldn't move from the ground, but she heard her name being yelled from somewhere in the distance.

She slowly rose her head enough to see George running towards her. The pain was still shooting through her body. Whoever had used the curse on her, had truly meant it.

She felt George bending down to help her up but couldn't form words to tell him what happened and ask if Harry was okay. Instead, she let out a whimper of pain as he moved her from the ground.

"Shh, it's okay. Let's get you inside." George said while placing a hand on her back.

Victoria slowly stood leaning on George for support. The two of them slowly walked back to the house and as they were crossing the doorway Ron and Hermione hurried towards them to help settle her in a chair.

"Where's Harry?" Victoria managed to croak out.

"He's fine, he is outside talking to Kingsley," Ron said in a rushed tone.

"Kinglsey?" Victoria said in a whisper. She looked up at Ron and Hermione.

"Yeah, they are talking about taking Harry back to the muggles right now," Hermione said quickly.

Victoria glanced around the room and saw Fred, George, and Ginny all staring at her.

"Harry is arguing though," Ron said quickly. "Say's he's gotta stay here and look out for you."

The realization flooded over Victoria all at once. Harry had to go back to the Dursley's to keep safe, the death eaters tonight had been after her, and Harry was trying to stay and protect her.

She quietly rose out her seat, steading her self as she stood. Hermione and Ron moved to help her balance.

"And what in the world do you think you are doing?" said Fred now getting to his feet.

"Yeah, you can hardly walk. Sit back down. Harry will be in soon," said George reassuringly.

"I am going to talk Harry out of being stupid," Victoria said walking slowly towards the door. Every movement sent a fresh wave of pain through her body.

Hermione followed her all the way into the kitchen where Kingsley, Harry, and Mr. Weasley sat. At the sight of her in the doorway, they all stood and walked towards her.

She held up her hand and walked to the open seat at the table. They all eyed her as she sat down.

"Harry," she said in a quiet voice. "I know you want to stay and I understand why. My cousin and whom I assume was my Aunt Bellatrix?" she asked turning to Kingsley, he nodded. "They came tonight to try and kill me, I know that."

"Good, so you understand why I have to stay then? That settles it, I'm not going." Harry said in an exasperated tone.

Just as Kingsley and Mr. Weasley were about to object Victoria cut them off.

"I wasn't done," she said quickly. "Harry, you can't stay here. It's not safe. You have to return to privet drive until they say you can leave."

Harry shot up from his chair, knocking it over as he stood. "Exactly!" he bellowed. "It's not safe! That's why I must stay! To help you, to help the Weasley's, to help."

Victoria flinched slightly at Harry's outburst. He drew back at her sudden change in demeanor and ran his finger through his hair.

"Harry," she said in a soft voice. She looked at Kingsley and Mr. Weasley, silently asking them not to speak.

"Harry, you can't help if you're dead. We all need you, the wizarding world needs you. But they can't have you if you aren't kept safe. With the Dursley's is that safe place."

Harry just paced in front of the table, refusing to look at any of them.

"Remember what we were just talking about, a future? How can we have a future if you aren't proactive in doing what needs to be done? I need you and this is the only way to keep a glimpse of hope for the future." She said the last part in a shaky breath.

He had stopped pacing now and looked at the ground. He ran his fingers through his Harry one last time before turning to face them. In an almost inaudible whisper he said, "Fine."

Within the next hour, Harry had packed up everything and had told everyone except Victoria goodbye. She was waiting for him on the front lawn.

Kingsley walked out of the house first and wished her well on his way. When Harry came out he looked angrier than he did back in the kitchen.

"Harry, please don't be cross with me. I just want what's best for you and everyone. It won't be long, and we can be back together in two weeks' time and..."

But Harry cut her off by kissing her softly on the lips. Victoria kissed back and hugged him tightly when he drew away. She felt a tear trickle down her face and felt him run his finger along her cheek to wipe it away.

"I'll see you soon, yeah? Please be safe," he said looking her in the eyes.

"I love you," she whispered while giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you always," he said in a whisper back.

She stood and watched him, and Kingsley fly away.