The Deal

Victoria woke up early the next morning and saw it was still dark outside. She glanced at her alarm clock, it read "5:07 am". She looked around the room to see Hermione and two other girls she did not know still sleeping in their beds. She slowly got out of bed and threw her robes on before descending down the steps. 

She walked out into the still dark common room as quietly as she could. Just as she was about to go through the portrait hole, however, a voice whispered from behind her, "Victoria? Is that you?" said a sleepy voice.

Victoria turned around and tried to make out who was talking. She saw whoever it was sit up from the couch that was situated in front of the empty fireplace. She instantly recognized the figure in front of her. "Good morning, Harry." She whispered just loud enough so that Harry could hear her. "I'm sorry to wake you, I was just going downstairs."

Harry stood up and stretched. He then picked up his wand and muttered "Incendio" while pointing it at the fire. Immediately, flames erupted and there was just enough light in the room for Victoria to now realize that Harry was shirtless. For a moment she stood, stared, and surely had her mouth ajar. She thought to herself, how in the world did he look so good this early in the morning? It took Harry speaking for Victoria to realize how hard she had been staring.

"Why are you up so early, is everything alright?" Harry asked.

"Oh –uh-yes." Victoria managed to get the words out, but knew that her cheeks were already bright red. She knew the fire would have very much given away her now flustered cheeks. "I am sorry for waking you, I didn't think anyone would be down here." She avoided direct eye contact and instead glanced around the room. 

Harry smiled, as if he knew the effect he was having on her. "I actually didn't want to sleep in the same dorm as Ron last night." He paused for a moment and looked at Victoria, as if waiting for her to meet his eyes. She could feel him looking at her and decided she had no choice but to return his gaze.

"Why didn't you –" but Harry stopped her before he could finish.

"Because he was being a downright ass last night." He paused and took a step towards Victoria. She stood frozen in her spot. "Look, I am not going to pretend like I trust you 100%." Victoria looked him in the eyes, they were a perfect green.

There it was, thought Victoria. She knew it was coming, but it stung even more to hear him say it out loud. She looked down at her feet again so that Harry didn't see the disappointment in her eyes. 

"But that doesn't mean I can't try." He smiled slightly. Victoria was still looking down at her feet.

"Ron is right, you know?" said Victoria in a quiet voice. Harry looked at her a little confused at what she had said. "And I don't blame him for acting the way he did, he was just looking out for you and your friends. "She sighed and looked back up at him. "I am the person Draco is closest too. I did basically grow up a Malfoy. I don't think it makes me a bad person, because I actually don't believe a lot of what my family does, but it doesn't change the fact of who I am." She took a step closer to Harry as her confidence grew by the second.

"If Draco even knew that I was standing here," she paused and glanced at his topless body again before continuing, "in this uh, setting... he would kill me and have it out for you even more than he does now." Harry took a few steps closer to her. He was so close now; Victoria could hear his heart beat.

"And you think Malfoy scares me?" he questioned in a low, husky tone. Victoria could feel him looking at her. He was a whole head taller than she was, so if she wanted to look at him now, she would have to look up.

"Well, no," said a flustered Victoria. She finally decided to look up at him before saying, "I just don't want to cause any more problems for you or anyone. Goodness knows, it seems like my family has done enough damage to last a lifetime." She didn't break eye contact with him this time. She wanted him to know how serious she was, how she truly felt. All she had ever felt like her entire life was a burden. She didn't want this to be how Harry or any of the other students saw her.

Just as she was about to step away, Harry gently grabbed her wrist to keep her in place. He didn't break eye contact and brushed a piece of Victoria's dark brown hair out of her face. "You are not a problem, and you can't control what your family does." He let go of her wrist and turned to face the fire. "I want us to be friends, Victoria. I don't care what other people think, I like being around you and I know the others do too. Don't shut us out. Ron will come around too, I promise." He stretched one more time. Victoria eyed his back now, watching every muscle ripple as he did. 

"I - I just don't think," but Harry cut her off. 

"I know you don't think it is a good idea but I do." He walked towards the couch and threw his shirt and robes on. "Lets at least give it a shot?" It was phrased as a question, but sounded more like a statement. 

"Alright, but if I cause anyone anymore problems, I am not hanging around you anymore, deal?" 

Harry was straightening his tie and walking to where Victoria was. He said while smiling at her, "Deal."  He opened the portrait hole and motioned for her to climb through. As she was stepping through he said, "But you must know, trouble follows me wherever I go." he was smirking at her as he stepped through the portrait now. "So, I  hope you are good with... rough situations."