The Present

The next morning came early and Victoria quickly got her things together and met Draco downstairs. They would be traveling by floo powder, curiously of Professor Snape.

"You're actually on time for once," he said without looking up at her. "Let's go." They started off to Professor Snape's office.

"Victoria, wait!" Victoria and Draco spun around to see Harry running towards them. Victoria walked forward to him, leaving Draco a few steps behind her.

"I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye and giving you your present," Harry said. He held out a box wrapped in red silk ribbon.

"Harry, I said we could do presents when I got back if I am not able to make it to the Weasleys," said Victoria with a small smile up at him.

"I know, but I wanted you to have this before you went. Open it." Harry looked at her eagerly.

Victoria, not wanting to crush his spirits unwrapped the small box. Inside sat a beautiful dainty ruby necklace. It had a gold chain and glistened in the light.

"Harry," Victoria breathed, "It's beautiful, but way too much I can't accept- "

Harry interrupted her, "You have to accept it, it's a Christmas gift. Now turn around, let me put it on you."

Victoria turned around, choosing to avoid eye contact with Draco. She didn't want to ruin this perfect moment. Harry gently pushed her hair aside, his fingers on her neck made her shiver.

"There," he said. "I thought the red suited you and would remind you of Gryffindor while you are surrounded by," he nodded his head towards Draco.

"I love it, thank you Harry. But I don't have yours on me right now. It's in my bag, I could search really quick."

Harry put a gentle hand on top of hers, "No, it's okay. You can give it to me when I see you again.

Victoria smiled and was about to protest but Draco cut her off.

"Just heart-warming," he said in a sarcastic tone. "We have got to go. Have fun at the shack your friend calls a house for Christmas, Potter." Draco's tone was angry, flat, and aggravated.

Victoria gave Harry a quick kiss on the cheek and whispered in his ear, "See you soon."

She went to rejoin Draco's side and he muttered, "Of all the fucking people in Hogwarts to become friends with."

Victoria just ignored him. They made it to Snape's office. He had left the floo powder on the desk for the two of them to use.

"Ready?" Draco asked her as they stepped towards the fire. Victoria just nodded her head yes. The next second they were standing in the fireplace of the parlor room at the manor.

Victoria sighed and looked around, "Lovely, darker and drabber than when we left."

"Draco, Victoria, hello," said Narcissa engulfing them both in a hug.

"Mother, you look well," said Draco in a monotone voice. "Is father around?"

"In his study dear. Go and see him, you must then get ready for the ball." She spoke in a soft voice.

"Ball? Mother I thought that wasn't until tomorrow night?" Draco asked.

"There has been a slight change of plans and guest list," she shifted nervously. "I'm afraid it is tonight, and we must look our absolute best." She turned and faced Victoria. She moved a piece of Victoria's hair behind her ear.

"He is coming, we must be prepared and look our best." Her voice was low and shaky now.

Draco's face went ghostly white, and he didn't move or speak.

"Go," Narcissa said quietly to her son. She then turned and looked at Victoria. "I have placed out a few options for you to wear. They are on your bed upstairs."

Victoria just nodded and said, "Aunt, why? Why is he coming tonight?"

"I do not know my dear, but we must make haste to ensure that we are ready." She said quickly to Victoria.

Victoria just nodded again. She made her way to her room upstairs. It was opposite of Draco's. She sat on the bed for a moment and just thought about the situation that she was about to be in. Voldemort was going to be in the same room as her, the dark wizard who wanted to kill the boy she liked and all her friends. How was she too hide that she was friends with them? Would he know? Would he kill her now?

A knock on her door snapped her out of her thoughts, it was a house elf.

"Misses Black, I bring you some tea," said Victoria's favorite house elf, Daphne.

"Hi Daphne, thank you so much. You can just set it over there." Victoria didn't think she could eat or drink anything she was so nervous.

"Daphne heard Mister Malfoy talking, ma'am. He says that he who must not be named is not happy. Miss Daphne wishes Misses Black would leave. Is not safe." She looked up to Victoria with her big blue eyes, they had tears in them.

Victoria bent down and placed a gentle hand on her back. She said, "Thank you Daphne, that is very kind of you. But I am afraid to leave Draco. I must help protect him."

Daphne gave a small cry and exited the room. Victoria sighed and sat on the bed. There were three dresses to pick from: a black dress, a green dress, and a silver dress. She decided to go with the black one. It was floor length and form fitting. It had draped lace sleeves and hugged her in all the right places. If she was going to die, she thought, she might as well look good. She slipped it over her head and threw on a pair of nude-colored heels. She quickly fixed her hair and makeup and looked at herself in the mirror.

"Here goes nothing," she muttered to her reflection.