The Duel

"Good morning," said a cheerful Hermione to Ron and Victoria as she sat down to join them at breakfast.

"I really hate how cheery you are with classes starting," said a very sleepy Ron.

"Oh, come on Ron! This is going to be one of the most important years. We absolutely have to do our best. Where's Harry? I want to make sure we are all set for potions later. Katie Bell was telling me that he is apparently a pretty hard professor and-"

Harry sat abruptly down next too Victoria. He didn't speak to any of them.

"Harry what is that on your face?" asked Hermione peering at Harry's cheek. No doubt it was bruise from where Victoria and he had collided thirty minutes ago.

"Nothing," said Harry in a low voice.

"Looks like someone has been snogging you too hard," laughed Ron. "I mean I heard Cho was single again, but I didn't think you'd act that fast. Hardly gave the poor gal a chance to get over Cedric."

"It's not from Cho," Harry said flatly. "But ya know, I think I might go talk to her, excuse me." And with that Harry got up and went to talk to Cho. Victoria felt her stomach twist a little as she saw them talking and laughing. Why was she feeling jealous? It wasn't like her and Harry were ever even close to being a thing.

"I didn't even get make sure he had his times table right," sighed Hermione.

Ron just rolled his eyes and said, "Well Victoria can look out for him, they have all the same classes. Somehow I got stuck with Snape before Flitwick." Ron slumped in his seat, clearly not excited about the way his day was about to be.

"Oh Ronald, does it matter who you have before the other?" said Hermione. Ron rolled his eyes and Victoria just laughed to herself. "Just try and make the best of it, we all at least have potions with Slughorn together." She started gathering all her books. "I really need to get to arithmancy early. I need a seat close to the front. See you both later." She hurried off out of the Great Hall.

"Of course, she needs to get a seat up front," chuckled Ron. Victoria smiled at him, he clearly loved seeing Hermione so happy.

"We best be going then, what's you and Harry's first class?" he asked Victoria.

"Uh looks like we have transfiguration first," said Victoria following Ron out of the Great Hall. It was clear Harry was going to walk with Cho so she was really glad Ron was walking with her.

"Oh, that's on my way to Snape's class. I'll walk you there." Ron and Victoria set off. Ron walked her all the way to the transfiguration classroom. As he was saying good-bye Harry and Cho rounded the corner giggling. Victoria rolled her eyes and walked into the classroom. She scanned the room for a familiar face, but she didn't recognize anyone. "Great", she thought to herself.

A voice interrupted her thoughts as she was debating who to sit next too, "Miss Black there is an open seat over there." Professor McGonagall was pointing in the direction of a seat directly upfront. Victoria smiled and nodded and began walking to the empty seat. She noticed the one behind it was empty as well and was instantly greatful to Professor McGonagall.

"Good mooning class, please take your seats and face the board." A chalk board appeared out of thin air and everyone turned to look at it.

"We will begin with a few reminders on basic transfiguration," started McGonagall. "First-"

She began but was interrupted by the door opening and Harry hurrying in.

"Well, Mr. Potter. Thank you for finally joining us, please take the seat behind Miss Black. And do not be late again or it will be a detention." Professor McGonagall talked in a calm, yet stern tone.