The Trials

*Let me know what you are thinking in the comments*

Victoria and Hermione walked together down to the quidditch pitch shortly after Ron and Harry had left the Great Hall.

"I truly just don't understand the fuss over this game. Sure, it's fun to watch and all, but I feel as though too much time is devoted to it sometimes. Do you know what I mean? Do you understand it? Hermione asked Victoria as they walked to find a place in the stands.

"I suppose it is very time consuming, but I really do enjoy watching it so it doesn't-"

But Victoria couldn't finish her sentence because a very pretty brown-haired girl to Hermione's left screamed, "Wohoo, go Ron!" so loud anything Victoria said was sure to be drowned out. Victoria looked over at her and saw Hermione rolling her eyes.

"Who in the world is that?" Victoria asked.

"That is Lavender Brown," scoffed Hermione. "Sadly, she is one of the girls that shares our room with us." Hermione positioned herself where she couldn't look at Lavender anymore. "About that, where had you run off too this morning? When I woke up you were completely gone." Lavender cheered again. "Not that you missed much," Hermione muttered.

"Couldn't sleep," Victoria shrugged. She didn't want to tell Hermione about her and Harry's early morning talk, not yet.

"Oh, look!" exclaimed Hermione. "That's Cormac McLaggen. He is the one that is going against Ron for the keepers position. He is also really really good."

"You seem to know a lot about Quidditch for someone who doesn't like the idea of it taking up so much time," said Victoria.

Hermione just rolled her eyes and smiled. "Well, it is something Ron enjoys so I try to understand it better for him." Her eyes grew big at what she had just said. She quickly added, "And Harry of course!"

Victoria smiled to herself, not feeling the need to poke fun at Hermione's innocent slip up. It was pretty obvious she liked Ron but there was no use bothering her about it. McLaggen was a pretty good keeper by Victoria's standards. It looked like he was going to stop anything and everything that came at him. Victoria felt Hermione shift beside her.

"Everything okay?" asked Victoria.

"Everything is fine," said Hermione quickly.

When Victoria looked back at the tryouts, however, she saw McLaggen completely go in the opposite direction of where he needed too. Some of the spectators gasped, some cheered. Victoria looked down to see Harry trying to play it cool and not cheer, but anyone could see the excitement on his face. All Ron had to now was block all of his and he was a shoe in for the keepers position. Victoria knew that McLaggen had not missed that last one on his own doing.

"I saw that," Victoria smirked at Hermione.

"Saw what, I didn't do anything!" exclaimed Hermione.

"I won't say anything," said Victoria. "I thought about doing it myself, so I am glad you did." She smiled at Hermione to reassure her and finally got her to smile back.

"Oh, here comes Ron now," said a nervous Hermione.

Ron was able to block anything sent his way with flying colors. He blocked all three which meant he was the Gryffindor keeper. Victoria could see the excitement on Hermione's face, but sadly they could also hear it coming from Lavender who was cheering Ron's name way too loudly.

"I wish she would just shut up," muttered Hermione. But as she was saying it Lavender, of course, happened to be walking by.

"Well, I can't say I am surprised to see you here, Granger. You are always following Ron and Harry around." Lavender spoke with an air in her voice that reminded Victoria of her uncle. "I mean, it's a little sad to be so desperate for attention." Lavender and the girls with her all smirked. Her eyes moved away from a speechless Hermione to Victoria.