The Goodbye

The next couple of weeks were pretty normal. Harry and Victoria were becoming a well-known couple around Hogwarts, Ron and Hermione were growing closer, Ginny still had not told Ron about Dean, and Neville was still too nervous to ask Luna out. Other than relationship drama, everyone was studying like crazy for OWLS and the stress was really getting to some of them.

"I already told you, Ron. I will not write your astronomy paper for you. Do you really think that is going to help you on the test?" Hermione said to Ron. Ron had been stress eating and asking Hermione to do all his homework for him.

"And will you stop eating," she said while snatching a chocolate frog out of his fingers.

Victoria was sitting on the couch next to Harry, trying to do her homework while Ron and Hermione bickered back and forth. Just as she was about to give up and go study in the library a frantic looking first year ran up to her.

"V-Victoria, there's a Slytherin boy outside the common room looking for you. He's really angry." The first year was clearly terrified of whoever had stopped him, so Victoria assumed it had to be none other than Draco. She said thank you to the frightened boy and patted him on the shoulder before standing to leave. As she was walking away, Harry grabbed her hand.

"Do you want me to come with you? You haven't seen him since Christmas Eve." He had nothing but a worried expression in his eyes. Part of Victoria did want Harry to come, but she knew that would only make the situation worse.

She sighed and said, "No, it's okay. I'll just see what he needs, make sure he is alright."

Harry nodded slowly and released his grip on her hand. She exited the common room to find Draco leaning against the opposite wall.

"Surprised you came. Thought you'd be too busy signing autographs as the chosen one's girlfriend," said Draco. His tone was typical, sarcastic and cold.

"Very funny," Victoria said with an eye roll. "What made you come all the way up here, are you okay?"

"Fine," Draco said in a flat tone. "I wanted to come check on you, I haven't seen you since..." His voice trailed off and he looked down at the ground.

"I am okay," Victoria said. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other. It had never been this hard to talk to Draco. It was clear the differences in their views on the current situation was creating some sort of divide. That was the last thing Victoria wanted, even if it probably needed to happen.

"Draco, this, whatever this is, doesn't mean we are any less of who we were before. It doesn't have to change how we see each other. I still love you, and always will. No matter what war, fight, or battle is going on, I am here for you." Victoria was looking at him now, waiting on him to respond.

Draco sighed deeply, "It changes everything, Tori." His voice was soft, it sounded as though he was about to cry.

"I am about to do things that you will never be able to forgive me for. Things I won't even be able to forgive myself for. This is a war, not a battle or a fight. The reason I came up here, was to tell you that..." he paused. Victoria watched him; she knew the words that were coming next. "To tell you that, I can't talk to you anymore. I can't be with you anymore. If we are ever in a situation where it is death eaters versus the order, I can't back down to protect you. I will fight anyone against us, including you."

Victoria looked at him, tears streamed down her cheeks. She couldn't speak, she didn't know what to say. He took a step towards her and wrapped her in a hug. She hugged back; she didn't want to let go. Draco was the one person who had been there her entire life, but this war, it was taking him away.

She finally let go and through tears said, "I will always be here for you."

Draco just nodded and walked pass her to leave. Victoria stood frozen, too heartbroken to move. The thought of watching him walk away made it that much more painful. She heard Draco's feet stop moving, but still refused to turn around.

"Potter will protect you, tell him he better look after you, or I'll kill him." Draco's voice was quiet and shaky. He was holding back tears too.

When Victoria couldn't hear his feet hitting the marble floors anymore, she decided it best to go back in the common room.

Everyone was still gathered around the fire, talking and laughing. They were all oblivious to the war that was starting around them. The war that was going to tear many families apart.

Victoria went and sat back down next to Harry. She leaned against his arm that was rest on the back of the couch. He wrapped it around her as she sat and whispered, "Everything okay?" Victoria just nodded. She didn't feel like telling anyone what had just happened, not right now.

Nobody was studying anymore, even Hermione was over it. They had started playing a game of never have I ever and Victoria was just listening, watching, and giggling softly at different questions being asked. She didn't feel like playing, but it was taking her mind off things.

After watching a few rounds, she felt Harry move his arm and start to stand. He turned to her and stuck out his hand.

"Come walk with me for a minute?" he asked. Victoria took his hand and they walked toward the exit of the common room, but Harry stopped right in front of the portrait hole. He turned and looked directly in her eyes before speaking again. "I know something is wrong, but I won't pry. Just know I'm here when you want to talk about it, yeah?" Victoria just nodded and started to feel selfish. Harry had the whole wizarding world resting on his shoulders, it wasn't fair for her to mope around while he had to deal with that.

Harry speaking again snapped her out of her thoughts, "Victoria? Are you okay?" Victoria looked up at him and just nodded her head yes, forcing a small smile. He nodded and said, "Well, like I said. If you need me, I'm here, but I have to run to Dumbledore's office. We are starting our meetings back up."

Victoria nodded and he gave her a slight kiss on the cheek before leaving the room.