The Apology

Harry and Victoria walked side by side downstairs to the Great Hall. It was still early so most of the school was still asleep. The first day of classes wasn't until tomorrow either so all the other students were sleeping in as much as they could. Harry opened the doors to the Great Hall so that Victoria could walk through first. Surprisingly, there were a few students already in there. They both were making their way to the Gryffindor table when someone called out Victoria's name.

"Victoria! Hey Victoria" yelled James Tuckett, the first year Victoria had helped through the sorting ceremony. He was hurrying towards the now sitting Harry and Victoria.

"Good morning, James," said Victoria with a slight smile as he approached. "I hope you slept well after an exciting day." James nodded and looked from Victoria to Harry and back to Victoria. His eyes grew wider, realizing who he was actually standing in front of.

"I- I wanted to say sorry for not making eye contact with you when it was your turn," said a frantic James. "You were looking all around, and I didn't know how to get you attention. But I think it worked out, we both got really cool houses!"

"That's okay, James. I think we did get pretty cool houses too." Victoria was talking to James, but he was no longer looking at her, rather at Harry. She saw what looked like a star struck look in his eyes.

"James, have you meet Harry Potter? Harry, this is James Tuckett. James is a first year Hufflepuff," said Victoria gesturing a still sleepy Harry to look at James.

Harry turned and stuck out his hand in James's direction and James shook it eagerly. James looked as if he could faint, again.

"Nice to meet ya James," said Harry. "I really like your name, it's the same as my dad." Harry smiled at the boy who returned it with an even bigger grin.

"Well, I better be going, I made a new friend in Gryffindor, Dennis Creevey. We are going to watch all the quidditch tryouts today." said a still very excited James. Victoria nodded and wished him well before he took off running towards the Great Hall exit.

"I forget, you're the famous Harry Potter," said Victoria smiling. Harry smiled a little and rolled his eyes knowing she was picking on him.

"Not famous, just Harry." He took a bite out of the oatmeal sitting in front of him.

"Well, I just feel honored to be sitting next to The Chosen One," said Victoria in an exaggerated tone. Harry smiled and nudged her with his elbow. They both sat in silence for a bit, eating and reading through pre-assigned lessons before someone sat in front of them with a loud bang. It was a very disgruntled looking Ron, no less angry than the night before. Victoria shifted slightly closer to Harry in her seat.

"Good morning to you too, princess," said Harry in a mocking tone towards Ron.

"No, it's not a good morning.," huffed Ron. "Victoria, can I talk to you for a second?" He didn't sound angry when he asked, but Victoria was still unsure if she wanted to be alone with someone who clearly didn't like her.

But before she could answer Harry spoke, "Hmm, let's think about that," said Harry pretending to think. "No, I don't think you can talk to her because you're still being an ass. She's not walking off alone with you." Harry's voice was angry, but calm at the same time.

"Come on, I just want to apologize, properly." said Ron looking away from Harry and to Victoria. She looked in his eyes and really believed he wanted to apologize now, not pick anymore fights.

Harry began to speak, "I said no –"

But Victoria cut him off, "It's fine Harry, I promise." She slowly began to stand up out of her seat. Ron did the same and they began walking out of the Great Hall. On their way out they passed Hermione and Ginny who both gave Ron a very stern warning looking.

"I-uh, I don't really know what to say," said Ron while looking down at his feet. Him and Victoria came to a stop in front of an empty room, just a few doors down from the Great Hall. It was a completely empty hall so it was very quiet.

Victoria looked at him, waiting for him to say something else, but he just kept looking down at his feet. "I understand why you wouldn't trust me," Victoria said quietly. Ron looked up at her. "I know I'm basically a Malfoy, but I promise I don't act like one."

Ron thought for a moment before saying, "I just don't think you know the hell your cousin and family have caused in just in the past year."

Victoria looked down at the ground again. "You're probably right," she sighed. "I don't, but that doesn't mean I act like them. In fact, I am sure all I am about to get from them is hell." Ron looked at her questionably. "Ya know, considering I was sorted into Gryffindor and have made friends with the people they hate most?" she smiled slightly at Ron. "Family gatherings are going to be a real treat now." She made sure to say it with sarcasm and slight smile.

Ron smiled, picking up on her sarcasm. "I am sorry for how I treated you last night," he said. "I just don't want to see anyone get hurt."

Victoria nodded and said, "Neither do I. Maybe we can just start over?"

Ron nodded and they started to walk back toward the Great Hall when a loud clap came from behind them and a harsh voice said, "Bravo, Bravo!" They both turned around to see Draco standing at the end of the corridor with Crabbe to his left and Goyle to his right.

Victoria rolled her eyes and said, "What do you want, Draco?" Her voice was flat and cold, she was not in the mood to deal with him today.

"Come on Tori don't tell me they already have you hating me in that dreadful house of yours. I mean I was just clapping at the wonderful performance you just put on for Weaslbee."

Victoria saw Ron reaching for his wand and placed a gentle hand on top of his. "Draco, I don't have time for this right now," she said through gritted teeth. "Come on, Ron. Let's go."

Her and Ron started walking past Draco and his goons when a sharp hand grabbed her shoulder and pushed her against the wall. Ron reached for his wand again, but not before Crabbe and Goyle could push him against the wall next to where Draco had Victoria pinned.

"Draco, I will talk to you, but only if you let Ron go," said a frantic Victoria. She was looking into her cousins' eyes, almost pleading.

"Give me one good reason I should," said Draco.

"Please, Dray. For me?" Victoria was pleading now, but she didn't care. She had just fixed things with Ron. Anything Draco said or did to her wouldn't hurt as much as being hated by the friends she had just made. 

Draco continued to stare at her and then looked over at Ron who was struggling to breath under Crabbe and Goyle's tight grips. She saw Draco's eyes soften, just for a moment.

"Fine," he muttered. "Let the blood traitor go." Crabbe and Goyle released him on command, and Ron immediately went to reach for his wand.

"No!" shouted Victoria. "Ron, it's fine."

He lowered his wand slightly and said, "It's not fine, they'll bloody kill you!"

"I promise it's fine. Just go back to breakfast, I'll be in soon." She tried to smile at him to reassure him that she was fine. She really didn't know if she believed her own words.

Ron stood there for a moment before looking at Victoria one last time. He started back towards the Great Hall, looking over his shoulder at the group as he went.

"That's better," said Draco in a flat voice. "Now, Crabbe and Goyle shove off. I need to talk to my cousin alone for a moment." He looked back at Victoria who he had now released from his grips.

Crabbe and Goyle strode off and Victoria began to speak, "Look, I know you are angry with me but – "

Draco cut her off in a harsh voice before she could finish. "Angry," he scoffed. "Oh, I'm beyond angry."

Victoria sighed and thought, let the trouble begin.