The Breakdown

Victoria didn't tell anyone about the letter. She figured it would only raise questions and concerns. It was killing her not to tell Harry, but some things are better left unsaid.

That night at dinner, everyone seemed to be buzzing with excitement about tomorrow's wedding. Victoria, still distracted from Draco's letter, sat back and watched everyone. There was a feeling of uncertainty in the pit of her stomach now that just kept creeping back up.

These people, these were her people now. She cared about them, they cared about her. The words in the letter kept replaying over and over in her mind. Was her presence with the Weasley's putting them at even greater risk? How was she truly going to help anyone with such a large target on her back?

The air around her started to feel much denser. Her head was swirling with thoughts. Her vision started to blur. She was panicking.

Victoria rose quickly from the table and mumbled an "Excuse me," before rushing inside the burrow. She walked in the kitchen, leaned over the sink, and broke down in tears. They spilled down her face, she fought to catch her breath but it was no use. The world she was just starting to love was going to be crashing down around her any day now.

"Victoria?" A soft voice came from the doorway.

Victoria turned around quickly to see Charlie Weasley looking at her with a concerned expression written across his weather-stricken face.

She quickly wiped the tears away and stood up straight. Charlie took a few steps closer to her, keeping a few feet back in case she decided to bolt.

"Charlie, I'm... I'm sorry. I just needed to get a re-fill." Victoria mentally slapped herself. Really great excuse, Victoria.

"Victoria," Charlie said again taking another slight step forward.

She looked in his eyes again, saw the concern. The emotions flipped back on. Did he not realize him looking concerned at her crying was the whole reason she was crying?

"If you'll excuse me," Victoria said in a shaky voice. She was crying again. She knew it. Charlie knew it.

She made to push past him and leave the kitchen, but he grabbed her by the shoulders. She doesn't know what it was, why this small action made her break, but it did. She broke down in his arms, cried in his chest. Her knees buckled and as she slid to the floor, so did Charlie. He held her while she cried. He didn't say anything, he didn't have to. Him holding her was enough.

After a couple minutes of him just holding her, Victoria finally stopped crying. She looked up, expecting to see Charlie looking at her with concern for her sanity. But what she saw wasn't him thinking she was crazy, he looked at her as if he understood. As if he knew why she was broken.

"I'm sorry, Charlie. We can go back out there. I'm... I'm fine." Victoria croaked out wiping her tears away again.

"No," Charlie said in a stern voice. He gently grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the front door.  "Come on, let's go for a walk."

Victoria didn't object. Anywhere was better than sitting back with the people they blindly accepted and loved her.

They made their way through the front door and started walking along the path leading away from the burrow. For a few minutes they just walked in silence. Something about being around Charlie made Victoria feel at ease.

"Does how you are feeling have anything to do with the letter you got tonight?" Charlie asked.

Victoria stopped in her tracks. Oh no, she thought. He knew. He knew someone had been writing to her. Did he think she was a traitor? Was he bringing her out her to attack her?