43

chapter forty-three

       THE HARSH SUNLIGHT BLINDED Amora for a moment after stepping outside the control center

       THE HARSH SUNLIGHT BLINDED Amora for a moment after stepping outside the control center. She covered her eyes with her hand and squinted around. The stormtroopers had aggressively escorted the rebels outside, leading them back to the clearing they had entered from. They were surrounded on all sides by armed soldiers, even a few AT-STs. It's like the Empire had deployed their entire Endorian fleet to catch them.

       They had wasted enough time earlier circling around to the backdoor. If they didn't get out of this fast, they wouldn't have enough time to disable the shield generator. This would all be for nothing.

       "Alright, move it!"

       The troopers pushed them forward with a watchful eye on their every move. Amora scanned the area and tried to search for a way out, any little weak spot, but found none.

       "Keep moving, c'mon!"

       They were forced to put their hands behind their heads as they joined their fellow guard-rebels who were already caught outside. The group was tightly packed together and left no room for escape. Since the alliance's ground team was tiny enough as it is, they had no available backup. They had the Ewoks, but Amora didn't know where they were or if they were ready. They were meant to help out if their escape went wrong, yet this was a bit sooner than planned.

       "Hello!" a mechanical voice suddenly shouted. "I say, over there!"

       Threepio?

       Amora and the others confusedly looked around in search of the droid. She finally spotted him along with Artoo standing atop a far hill that overlooked the scene below. He nonchalantly waved at the crowd, drawing the attention of everyone, including the imperials.

       "Were you looking for me?" he continued to shout.

       A baffled Chewie roared loudly.

       "Is he trying to get caught?" Amora mumbled to no one in particular.

       "Bring those two down here!" a commander barked in frustration.

       On his command, six troopers left their squad and ran up the hill to retrieve the droids. Everyone, both the rebels and imperials, awkwardly shuffled around while waiting. What exactly was the plan here? Threepio was prone to disaster, but not dumb.

       Suddenly, the sound of a deep horn ripped through the air, startling everyone. Amora exchanged baffled glances with Leia.

       What was that?

       Another horn echoed the same tune. The troopers dropped their guards as they also looked around nervously. This could possibly be the best chance to escape.