44

chapter forty-four

       IN A GENEROUS DISPLAY of mercy from the universe, the beautiful forest of Endor remained practically untouched in the aftermath of battle

       IN A GENEROUS DISPLAY of mercy from the universe, the beautiful forest of Endor remained practically untouched in the aftermath of battle. With the exception of the weaker parts of the forest whose age couldn't outlive war, the trees stood strong and were not defeated from the violent battle. There was no difference in beauty from the night before. It was like the rebels, in a way.

       Shortly after the battle had finished, after wounds were patched up and hearts stopped racing, there was a small ceremony to honor the lives lost on the moon. A celebration of life, really. It was the least they could do. The rebels and Ewoks teamed up one last time to clean up the forest and locate the bodies of their friends in order to hold the ceremony with everyone gathered together, even in the afterlife.

       Amora had to admit that her heart ached at the sight. She used to not care. When in war, things happened. People died. She didn't have the time to be sad. It was an invitation to be killed while you're vulnerable. But now, she actually did have the time to help the community and clean up the mess they made. Watching over the ceremony made her regret her past actions. She wished she had gone out of her way to grieve and pay respect to those who had given their lives, even if she didn't know them. It wasn't a waste of time. But Amora couldn't change the past. What's done is done, and all she could do was move forward with her head held high and her heart a bit more tender.

       The grievances rooted themselves on the moon and would never truly disappear, but after the ceremony, spirits were lifted. The deaths didn't feel like useless kills, but rather sacrifices for the better future to come. And with that, a celebration of the downfall of the Empire felt like the next best thing. It was another way to honor those sacrifices. They wouldn't be in vain.

       That's where Amora found herself now, at the top of the tallest tree, surrounded by joyful partygoers who gleefully celebrated the end of the war. The rebels were invited to attend to party and stay the night before they left Endor, including the squadron fighters who landed on the moon about an hour ago. Even they were having the time of their lives with their newfound sense of freedom. It was a breath of fresh air for them to be able to relax for the night without fear of a sneak attack.

       Fireworks popped overhead in the deep blue sky as Amora chatted with a couple X-wing pilots. From her brief conversation with them, she had learned that the entire galaxy was already celebrating the defeat of the Empire. She also learned that Zolynn had made it safely to her home planet of Coruscant after she couldn't reunite with the squadron. She was glad she was safe.

       "...and they almost got me! I'd be stardust if I took any longer destroying those regulators!" Wedge exclaimed as he retold the battle that took place above Endor.