33

chapter thirty-three

       THE PLAN HADN'T WORKED

       That's what Lando had said, anyways. But it's not like Amora needed him to tell her that. She was still here, after all.

       Apparently while she was sleeping away in the servant's quarters that night, Jabba had gathered up a few of his buddies to stake out and expose Leia for who she really was. Amora hadn't been able to transfer the intel about what Jabba actually knew, so the plan, which involved Leia breaking Han out of the carbonite, was cut short. She had managed to remove him from the block just before she was caught, reducing the scheme into more enslavement that needed to be undone. Leia was now just like her, another pawn to be rescued.

       However, Amora was still elated by the single silver lining: Han was free. Well, not free, but no longer stuck in a coma inside of a block. She'd imagine that to be the most difficult task, making it through Jabba's security measures to reach Han, but Leia did it. She was caught in the act, but she still did it. Word around the palace was that Han had been thrown into the dungeon for an undetermined fate.

       When Amora had awoken that morning, these were only rumors floating around in the crevices of conversations, afterthoughts that carelessly fluttered from the lips of hungover aliens to her eager ears. What meant nothing to them was Amora's sliver of faith that something had gone right. It didn't matter if it wasn't true. Those rumors were the blinding light that forced her out of the servant's quarters to check it out herself. It wasn't until she emerged into the throne room for work were the rumors confirmed.

       Han was gone.

       Where he once hung proudly on display in front of Jabba's view was now a blank space on the wall, the remaining carbonite removed in shame. But with the loss of one trophy, Jabba gained another. Han's absence was promptly filled with Leia, taking the empty spot of Oola at the palace's front.

       Amora leaned against the bar counter in uncomfortable boredom. Last night's incident had caused such a ruckus that Jabba was unable to get a full rest. His parties usually would've started by now, no matter how early in the morning, but he had declared himself too tired for festivities. Amora certainly wasn't complaining. It was just less work for her, not to mention that Nizuc was knocked out (possibly from alcohol instead of sleep). But, as it turns out, it was almost just as worse to have nothing to do. It was excruciating to watch Jabba snore all day, but she supposed it was better than watching another party. It would only be torturous for Leia and Threepio, possibly for Lando as well, and she really had no idea how Artoo and Chewie were doing.

       Amora hadn't spoken to Leia at all, but the few glances they exchanged told her enough, and even those weren't necessary to read her opinion. Jabba had forced her into a demeaning, gaudy outfit that revealed much more than Leia ever would by choice. Her placement front and center of the palace did her no favors, either. Luckily, she was near Threepio for any sort of comfort he could provide. Not that it was much, but he was a familiar face. Both of them appeared awfully bored as well, but it was expected when you were anxiously awaiting a rescue.