37

chapter thirty-seven

       IT HAD BEEN HOURS since the Falcon arrived at the base (if you could even call it that), and Amora felt her nerves shift into something a bit more attuned to glee

       IT HAD BEEN HOURS since the Falcon arrived at the base (if you could even call it that), and Amora felt her nerves shift into something a bit more attuned to glee. Quick to switch, she knew, but maybe the atmosphere of belonging had something to do with it. She could adjust to the feeling of change if she was back to her rightful position. She just couldn't see that before.

       Amora entered the briefing room hurriedly, as she was running later than usual. There had been enough time since landing for the crew to settle in, rest, and freshen up, which was wonderful except for her lack of time management. Sleeping in a real bed and having access to actual amenities must've been too tempting to pay attention to the time. It was lucky that she left her bunk room at all.

       When she arrived, practically everyone was already seated and ready for the meeting, but that wasn't saying much. Their numbers had decreased significantly since the last battle, whether that meant people died or they still hadn't managed to regroup. For instance, Amora knew Zolynn wasn't here. She'd asked around soon after landing, but she was just gone. Amora didn't know if she was safe or not, but she tried to keep the optimism that Zolynn just couldn't make her way back. But that was a side thought amongst many. Right now, she wanted to find her friends and pretend like she was there the whole time, which is why she was relieved to see Leia, Han, Chewie, and Lando in the front row. She started off in their direction, but was halted by an older, accented voice.

       "General Everbright, it's a pleasure to have you back."

       She stopped herself and turned to the direction of the voice. There stood Mon Mothma behind her with a polite, tight lipped smile in her traditional white dress.

       Amora straightened her spine and nodded formally. "It's been too long, ma'am. I look forward to joining the fight again."

       She nodded as well and held up a small, gray badge that Amora recognized instantly. "Not without this."

       Amora reached out to grab the badge, fiddling it with her fingers with a pinch of nostalgia in her chest. It was a rank indicator, an award gifted to those who reached the status of a general. Her previous badge was lost back on Hoth and, although its importance, she hadn't really spared it a thought until now. There were always more pressing issues than awards, but seeing another one presented to her now wasn't something to refuse.

       "Thank you," she responded unwaveringly as she stared at the badge. "I won't lose this one."

       "I know you won't."

       Their conversation was cut short as a light, ringing sound was heard over the quiet chatter in the room. That noise signaled the start of the meeting, which both of them were aware of.