17

chapter seventeen

       THE EMPIRE HAD DISCOVERED their location, meaning they didn't have much time until an unavoidable battle

       Amora stood in hangar bay seven, out of breath. She had spread the word to as many officers as she could. Even those who weren't fighting still needed to evacuate, and that was much easier said than done.

       Leia and Han were nowhere to be seen during preparation. They were probably off doing their own important tasks and Amora didn't have any time to worry about them. They could take care of themselves.

       Across the hangar, she spotted Luke coming from the direction of the Millennium Falcon. He smiled and waved at her, but she just ignored him. He didn't seem to take the hint, however. He just assumed she didn't see him. So he walked over to greet her.

       "Luke, will you be commanding Rogue squadron?" she asked him as formally as she could.

       Maybe she was just being petty, but Amora was still bitter after the incident that occurred earlier that day. She knew that his feelings had nothing to do with her and that he was free to do as he pleased, but she couldn't help but feel a little hurt by it. And maybe she just wasn't ready to forgive him so easily.

       "Like I'd pass up the chance," he answered casually.

       He either didn't notice her cold tone, or just chose to ignore it. But knowing him, he was probably just oblivious to Amora's annoyance.

       She almost rolled her eyes at the realization, but restrained from doing so.

       "Alright, you should get to your ship, then."

       Luke furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. She had never been so dismissive before. And quite frankly, he didn't understand why. She was always kind, patient, and supportive of him, even though she had no problem yelling at the other rebels. Especially before battle, she would make sure to find him and give him a quick hug. But that didn't seem to be happening this time around.

       Before he could reply, an officer by the name of Korb Trysher approached the duo and faced Amora. "General Everbright, your presence is requested in the trenches!"

       Amora nodded in acknowledgment at Trysher, who stood back after delivering the message. She looked back at Luke nonchalantly.

       "Guess I'll see you after," she said simply, promptly turning away to exit the hangar.

       For a moment, he just stood there, stunned by her stiff words. This was very unlike her, at least to him. He wanted to ask her about it, ask her what he did wrong, but suddenly remembered something a little more pressing.