34

chapter thirty-four

       TATOOINE'S BLAND, SANDY DUNES were a depressing place to die, engulfing every lost soul in the disappointments of secrecy

       TATOOINE'S BLAND, SANDY DUNES were a depressing place to die, engulfing every lost soul in the disappointments of secrecy. To vanish in the endless desert on this planet would be to erase oneself from the index of history. One would either disappear without a trace, or disappear with the everlasting loneliness felt by all who will never know the truth.

       So it was a good thing that no one would be dying here today. Nobody that Amora cared about, at least.

       With the utmost faith that the rescue mission would work smoothly, Amora allowed herself to look beyond any frightened daydreams and instead enjoy the view... if you could even call it that. For Tatooine, it was pretty. For Tatooine. But as a native of Naboo, she struggled to see why anyone with a ship would be here by choice. Even from her spot by the window of a luxury cruiser with temperature regulations and plenty of water, the picturesque landscape in front of her wasn't exactly appealing.

       But luckily, she wasn't admiring the horizon nearly as much as she watched the tiny cruiser sailing on top of it. The vessel didn't hold many, as the majority of the palace was with Amora on Jabba's ship, but it had enough to hold her attention and concern. Of course, it's because there were four people who she loved dearly on it, but Amora was still adapting to being so vulnerable with her feelings.

       They were all heading to the legendary Sarlacc that's so highly spoken of for the scheduled execution of Luke, Han, and Chewie. Lando accompanied them, still under the guise of his role as a guard, and while he wasn't in any danger, it still felt as though he could be.

       She couldn't make out any of their expressions or read any thoughts, but Amora hoped they weren't stressed. Wishful thinking, naturally, because was it possible to lack stress while you awaited your own execution? Not even she should've been relaxed right now. But for some reason, Amora didn't have trouble admitting that she was. Well, maybe a little too relaxed, since she was entirely avoiding her job at the moment. This did not go unnoticed by Nizuc, who was growing more and more agitated by her misbehavior.

       "Hey!" he barked frustratingly at the distracted Amora while simultaneously stumbling into a pullout table. "We got a job to do!"

       He could barely stand, let alone exert enough energy to hurt her. If Amora hadn't lost interest before, she certainly had now.

       "'Me,' not 'we,'" she corrected softly without averting her eyes. "You're too drunk to function."

       He didn't reply immediately. Instead, he dug through one of his front shirt pockets and pulled out the button that should've been tucked away under the counter back at the palace.