01

chapter one

       A YOUNG BRUNETTE WOMAN sat amongst the stars, staring blankly at the cyan steaks out the starship window while sailing through light speed

A YOUNG BRUNETTE WOMAN sat amongst the stars, staring blankly at the cyan steaks out the starship window while sailing through light speed. She was hyper aware of the blaster that lay across her thigh, a deep void-like feeling settling in her stomach to match the dark thoughts that came with the weapon. She couldn't wait to unleash it from its holster, let out its true glory against the Empire. They took everything from her; her family, her home, her joy, her hope. She wouldn't let them take her vengeance too. 

Yet despite her dark thoughts, the woman sat stoically in the starship lounge. Vulnerability was a risk she could not afford to take. Even amongst her people, the warriors who would die for her to have one extra breath, couldn't see her as anything other than a leader. That wouldn't happen. She was a commander, a symbol of hope. She may have lost her own hope, but she wouldn't dare take it away from anyone else. The Empire did that just fine on their own.

That's why she found herself numb after receiving the news after the Battle of Scarif.

It wasn't that she didn't care, no, but rather that it wasn't the first (and certainly not the last) loss that would occur for the sake of the rebellion. The news felt no different than any other battle she was forced to endure. At seventeen years old, the woman probably would have wept, the pain coursing through her body like a poison she couldn't bear to swallow, the toxic tendrils of darkness yanking at her heart until it finally burst. At twenty years old, however, the woman did not have that luxury. She had a mission to complete.

"Amora?"

The woman glanced over to meet the eyes of the princess that sat across the lounge from her. She had seen those eyes a million times before, the eyes of a leader with no opportunity to grieve. It felt like a mirror. She didn't bother to correct the princess on the use of her name rather than her formal title. Amora seemed to be the only one to care about formalities anymore.

"Princess?" Amora questioned.

"We are drawing near the outer rim of Tatooine. It's time."

Amora stared back at Leia for a moment, not fully registering the words. It's time. Time to enter, quite possibly, the most dangerous mission of her career. The entire Empire would be searching for these plans, for them. But a leader had absolutely no time for fear, only for action. Her job was to accompany the princess to Tatooine and back to Alderaan. She was the protection. And that's exactly what she intended to do.

"Well then, what are we waiting for?"

Amora hoisted herself up from one of the ruby red sofas, quite possibly the most comfortable she's been in a year. Princess Leia did the same, taking the lead in front of Amora to guide them through the pristine white halls and to the command room. The ship crew had thought it would be best to keep the two women away from all the stress of the command room. They claimed that the bustle would only make them more on edge for the mission. Amora had to restrain herself from rolling her eyes, as if that would make a difference, but she followed orders anyways. It felt good to defy them now and enter the command room, like a toddler stealing a cookie after bedtime.