35

chapter thirty-five

       WITHIN THE BATTERING WINDS of a dusty Tatooine sandstorm that clawed at her clothes and tangled her hair, Amora almost preferred her enslavement back at Jabba's palace

       WITHIN THE BATTERING WINDS of a dusty Tatooine sandstorm that clawed at her clothes and tangled her hair, Amora almost preferred her enslavement back at Jabba's palace. It seemed to be the much preferable option compared to wandering through a desert blindly, her sense of direction relying on grasping Luke's arm and searching for the red light from Lando's tracker.

       The group had flown as far as they safely could on the cruiser, but when they travelled into the hazardous valley, the cons outweighed the pros. They were forced onto the ground to find the ship by foot, and although the extreme danger remained, they at least had a lead, known otherwise as Lando and his tracker (and they also had cloaks that Artoo somehow had ready, but it was better to not ask questions).

       Amora's eyes were squeezed shut for the majority of the walk, only opening them periodically to ensure safety. She didn't need to go blind like Han. But closing her eyes only protected so much. For example, she very much regretted changing her hairstyle so quickly, because her free waves were not withstanding this wind.

       "Did no one check the weather beforehand?!" she yelled to anyone who cared enough to listen.

       "Sorry, the mob holding you hostage wouldn't tell me!" Luke called out without looking back.

       Amora didn't reply, but she could feel the corners of her lips turn upwards. It was terribly relieving that the same, comforting banter hadn't changed.

       It was especially relieving because of how much did change. The storm wasn't the only reason Amora guiltily wished to return to Jabba's. Quite frankly, she was in over her head with the idea of freedom. For some reason, she had assumed that leaving that horrid place would result in an immediate resume of where she took off, her life back on track with no consequences. Much to her surprise, that is not what happened.

       Everything felt so different! And to be honest, Amora couldn't decide whether it really was or not. She knew the rebellion was suffering their worst loss since its creation, she knew her once hatred-filled friends were seeing each other in a new light, and she knew a traitor-turned-good was a fresh addition to their group. Even Luke, her forever consistency, was now a Jedi knight. And it wasn't necessarily the changes that appeared so unsettling. It was more that she was oblivious to them all when they actually occurred.

       Everything she had learned within those palace walls seemed so far off and imaginative. She knew them to be true because they were, not because of her own experience. None of those realities had much effect over her present until she finally stepped away from her own confinement. Only then did she face the looming year of her life that was lost.