36

chapter thirty-six

       AMORA WAS FOREVER GRATEFUL that she packed the Falcon's closet with emergency outfits

       AMORA WAS FOREVER GRATEFUL that she packed the Falcon's closet with emergency outfits. It was Leia who convinced her to do so (because "you'll regret it when you're stranded on that broken-down ship with only those old pants"), even though she didn't have a wide variety of clothing anyway. This was further proved with the plain clothing she chose, consisting of a white shirt, black jacket, and green cargo pants with a belt, yet not as plain if counting some of Leia's jewelry that she picked out as well.

       The only downside was that she no longer owned her favorite green jacket, also known as her only jacket. She could borrow one of Leia's... or she would if Leia had any of her own stored away. And she should have some of her own, that is, if Amora hadn't slowly stolen them from time to time back on Hoth. So with zero jackets between the two girls, Leia would have to suffice with one of Han's. Amora, on the other hand, was fine with taking one of Luke's, even if it was bigger than her.

       With the extra clothes in hand, she shuffled out of the crew's quarters with her mind as clear as it would allow itself to be. After some time to think about her current circumstances, Amora was at least aware of where she stood, starting with the fact that she hadn't expected herself to be taken aback by... well, everything.

       Escaping was meant to be a happy occasion that outshined her troubles at an alarming rate. And it was, for the most part. She was so glad to be out of the palace (even if she had to leave a newfound friend behind) and truly reunite with the people she loved most. But she didn't like the unwanted feelings of uncertainty that came with it, such as the lack of clarity involving the rebellion and just how much they really lost. But Amora tried to put those feelings on pause for now.

       As she walked through the empty main hold, she finally got a good look at the ship that sustained the setting for so many memories. From the blaster holes in the left wall to the secret bunk above the lounge, she had spent more than enough time in here to have memorized the nooks and crannies of her home away from home. And with the warm air, the sound of the engines, and the calm sense of stillness, Amora felt a bit of normality come tumbling into her life, especially as she crossed the room and walked through the cockpit entry.

       "I owe you one," she heard Han's float through the passage as she entered the cockpit to find Leia.

       As expected, she sat in the co-pilot's seat next to Han, the latter holding a comlink close up to his mouth (which left some confusion as to where Chewie and Lando were if not in the cockpit, but in perspective, there were plenty of other places for them to be). The sound of Amora's footsteps let herself be known to the two, more so Leia than Han.

       "Amora!" she called, waving the girl over with one hand and plucking the comlink from Han with the other. "It's Luke."

       Oh... right.