20

chapter twenty

       THE NIGHT WASN'T NEARLY as restless as Amora assumed it would be

       THE NIGHT WASN'T NEARLY as restless as Amora assumed it would be. It was actually a peaceful night, the sound of raindrops blending into an easy background hum that sent her into an unnaturally heavy sleep.

       She wasn't a heavy sleeper by any means. When you lived with the rebellion, you couldn't be. Too many times had she evacuated during the night, been attacked during the night, or had just been filled with a general anxiety at night. And there was no way around it.

       But for some reason, the hard, dirt floor of Dagobah was more comforting than any cozy bunk that actually had a bed. Maybe it was just the change of environment that made everything so weird.

       When Amora had awoken that morning, she wasn't surprised to see that she was by herself. Well, except for Artoo. But besides him, Luke and Yoda had apparently left already to get an early start on their training. It's what she expected, but it was a surprise to realize she had slept through them leaving.

       It instantly made her nervous to know that she rested soundly when there was plenty of movement around her. What if it wasn't Luke and Yoda? What if it was an intruder walking around? Yet she wasn't aware of any of it.

       Maybe she was freaking out for no reason. She probably was. But she couldn't shake the thought that she was becoming far too relaxed far too quickly.

       It was time to put the peaceful night behind her and move forward productively. There was work to be done.

       The first thing Amora wanted to do was get Artoo up and running (well, rolling) again. She approached the corner where he was nestled snugly to power him back on for the day. Pushing a few buttons on his back panel so he could be turned on manually, she watched as he fluttered to life with some greeting beeps.

       "Hey, buddy," she muttered while brushing off the dirt and dust that clung to him.

       He paused for a moment in silence, rotating his head around to scan the area. Looking back at Amora, he beeped in confusion.

       "I think he went out with Yoda already," she replied with her hands on her hips. "To train."

       He then made a whirring noise that sounded like a hum of understanding before asking another question.

       "I guess I should try to repair my ship," she answered while gazing around the room. "You wouldn't happen to know any electrical engineering, would you?"