41

chapter forty-one

       AMORA'S LIFE HAD NEVER been consistent and stable

       AMORA'S LIFE HAD NEVER been consistent and stable. Flexibility had been built into her bones the moment she learned of the Empire's existence. She had been molded like clay into pure survival instinct, learning to adapt to something new every few minutes. Amora had been trapped on a lawless, sweltering planet with a slimy Hutt barely over a day ago. Now she sat with Leia in the bedroom of a treehouse that was made to accommodate Ewoks, not humans. But this was practically all she knew and found the rapid change of pace to be normal.

       Leia sat behind Amora, braiding the girl's hair into some sort of updo before it got too late. The two girls were given a room together to spend the night in the treehouse while the others were given room nearby. They sat in a silence so still that Amora couldn't tell if it was comfortable or uncomfortable.

       Luke leaving so suddenly had definitely affected everyone, even poor Chewie who thought he did something wrong to make him leave. The gang tried to assure the Wookiee that he had done nothing wrong, but either way, everyone's mood was dampened, especially Amora's.

       She was upset, obviously. It was impossible not to be. She felt similar to Chewie, wondering if she wasn't enough reason to make him stay. Amora understood the importance of what he had to do, however, it was unfortunate that her feelings had to be sacrificed for the greater good. This was exactly why she avoided close relationships with anyone in the past. In the midst of a war, friends and family were a type of luxury that proved again and again to be a burden.

       But what's the point of surviving every day if not for love?

       With the war, Amora already knew that every close attachment was a risk that could send her spiraling into the deepest depths of dread. Loss was forever prevalent and loomed in the shadows. She knew the risks of loving another. Yet possessing the knowledge of these conditions only made love that more special.

       Even if Luke were to die tomorrow (or anyone she cared about, for that matter), she was just glad she was able to experience any amount of love in her life without closing herself off. Love was always a risk. Even if there wasn't a war, there was still a chance of illness, violence, freak accidents, and many terrible acts that could rip love right out of your life. She knew she may never see Luke again, but she'd always have the memories of the past few years of love she'd been fortunate enough to live through. And for that, she was grateful.

       In the past, she had tricked herself into believing that it was selfish to value her own feelings over the greater good. The old Amora would have scoffed at current Amora feeling upset that someone was off to save the galaxy from evil. She would've thought it was selfish behavior. And maybe it was selfish. But at the same time, it was okay to be selfish, to feel upset. She wasn't a bad person for fearing to lose someone she cared about.