02

chapter two

       AMORA WOKE UP WITH the blazing sun scorching an awful burn onto her skin

AMORA WOKE UP WITH the blazing sun scorching an awful burn onto her skin. The rays poured over her body like flames licking at a burning building, causing an uncomfortable itch to take over her senses. She touched her arm softly only to retract at the unfamiliar feeling of pure, raw heat.

With a large huff, she pushed herself upright, ignoring the dull ache of soreness throughout her muscles from crash landing onto the planet. Her head throbbed as she did so, clouding her mind with nothing but agony and torment. It hurt far too much to sit up, let alone stand, but she still had a mission to complete. She needed to put her pain beside herself. Inhaling sharply,  she took a moment to observe the damage.

Everything smelt of smoke, which billowed up into the sky. The escape pod was in shambles all around her, the hatch broken clean-off, turning the wreckage into a cracked eggshell. The port window that once provided an even, eye-level view was now only shattered glass above her, allowing the sun to stream in and beat on her relentlessly. She was covered in the pod's wreckage, but mostly just sand, which was not the same sand that painted the beautiful Naboo beaches. This sand was rough, itchy, and all-around uncomfortable.

Her hand hesitantly rose to her head and patted down her hair. It, like the rest of her body, was covered in this awful sand. Amora groaned out loud at the feeling. She slammed her hands down onto the sand in frustration, puffs of the particles clouding upwards, almost taunting her. So far, her first impression of Tatooine was not a good one.

The rebellion may have led her to a variety of planets with all different climates, but she was a Naboo-girl at heart. Her body wasn't made for these wild temperatures. She preferred lakes and forests and all things green. And here she was in a desert with no food, no water, no shelter, and no soul in sight.

No soul in sight.

Amora's eyes widened as she stood up a little too quickly, ignoring her fatigue as colors danced in her view. She whipped her head side to side and frantically patted around the wreckage of the escape pod.

Please be here, please be here, please...

She tore under the padding of the pod caught in the sand, searching for something, anything, that let her know the droids were safe. And instead, she found the opposite. Stuck by the broken hatch door, Amora stared down at a crushed tracking device, probably the one she gave Threepio.

No, no, no. This can't be real, they must be nearby...

But that wasn't realistic. They weren't nearby. The droids weren't here. She failed her mission. They were probably stolen by scavengers and sold. Or worse, they were already found by the Empire.