16

chapter sixteen

       AMORA HAD BEEN AWAKE for about five hours by the time her comlink went off

She had woken up earlier that day, gotten ready quickly, and rushed to the main hangar bay to see if she could join a search party. Leia had the same idea, but they weren't allowed to leave. They were told that they would be much more useful at the base and would be alerted immediately if any new information came to light.

With those disappointing instructions, Amora had found herself working maintenance in the hangar bay seven rafters, luckily with a team that moved with speed and silence. She had spent the morning working away, but there was still no news from the search parties. Only when the head mechanic sent her out to the command center for a report was she alerted.

Amora halted in front of a utility closet as her comlink buzzed, voice muffled from inside the contents of her pocket.

It might be the search parties.

Her movements were sloppy with anxiety, but she finally managed to grasp her comlink and press the button to connect her to the other line.

"General Everbright to unknown, who is this?" she questioned frantically.

The seconds that passed as she waited for a response were excruciating.

"Amora! No one's been able to reach you all day! Where are you?!"

It was Leia.

Amora's heart pounded with anticipation.

"Well, right now, I'm on my way to the command center, but I've been working maintenance. Why? What happened?"

"That place has terrible connection," Leia muttered, barely audible, before answering the questions. "We've found them. Luke and Han are safe."

Amora let out a breath she didn't even realize she was holding. Her heart slowed down. She wanted to scream with joy.

They were safe.

"Are they alright? Where are they?"

"Han is fine," she assured, but it sounded strained. "He went to go see Chewie a while ago... and to tell him they won't be leaving the base today."

Amora couldn't help but smile at that. "And Luke?"

"He got a little roughed up out there, but he's alright. He's in the medical center right now, but we're not allowed to see him yet."

Her smile instantly melted into a frown. She quickly started walking down the same path again, but didn't intend to find the command center this time.