Worries

Shout out to my boy @DanteTheBigBrain for making this book a new cover!

•••

You take in a deep breath as you walk through a nostalgic dirt road. You never thought you'd be back here so soon, but due to... recent events, you had some time on your hands. There was some sort of discomfort as you stayed idle in your apartment in the city of Mondstadt. So you decided it might be better to use your break to go back home.

As you arrive at an old mossy stone fence, you look out to the front porch of the house where you catch sight of your mother and sibling tending the garden. They were engrossed in the activity until you walked up to them as they promptly looked up and froze when they noticed who it was.

"Huh..." Your sibling was the one that managed to speak up first. "... So you got fired already?"

       You flinch, popping a vein as you stared unamused at them. You spoke through your teeth. "Of course not... I'm just taking a break."

       "Eh? I mean Windblume isn't till another month, I don't think there's any holidays for you to take vacations like this."

       "They just gave me a few days off!" You yelled.

        "Oh dear, could you be heartbroken?" Your mom finally spoke with worry as she covers her mouth with a hand.

       "Hooh, you got dumped?" Your sibling shot back.

        "Arghh! Dammit— I come back home after almost a year and this is how you welcome me?" You whined. Completely passing through them to go into the house.

       "Oh come on we're just joking." Your mom giggled. "But still if you were coming home you should have sent a letter in advance. I'd have prepared a calf."

       "No its okay, you don't have to do that.. And yeah sorry, let's just say this break was also sudden anyway." You sighed as you revealed your injured arm. It's not like its broken or fractured, but your whole hand looks like it was burnt, a few more dark lines that trace through your veins which reach out through your arm. The church had healed it enough that you can use it again, but thy advised nothing to rough.

      "(Y/N)... What happened?" You hear another voice come from inside. You turn to see your father come out of the house, obviously looking concerned.

"Oh Dad, you're home!" You waved at him.

•••

"Archons! You boys are so idiotic!" Your mother exclaimed after having learned that her son also followed his father's thoughts of martyrdom.

"Haha! In a world like this, it seems like every man dreams of sacrificing themselves!" Your father's laughter fills the room.

"Of course you would know." She glares at him. The laughter subsides into a few chuckles before your father nods at her. She puts down two cups of tea at each of your reach before smiling and leaving the room.

"It's an intense feeling isn't it?" He speaks again. "Seeing someone you care about in grave danger, and a means to protect them. You lose all train of thought... even fear for your own life."

Your father stands up and approaches you. "I'm sure you thought "its alright if I die, as long as they live" during those moments, no?"

He sits right next to you and pats you on the back. You both share eye contact, as he gives you a look of understanding, pride and relief.

"But now that we're here, isn't it great that we also lived?"

He ruffles your hair and gives you a hug. You fall into it, your eyes glisten as you feel tears forming at the edge.

"Always remember that as much as you have people you care for; There are people that care about you."

"Yeah..." You nodded. "I-I'm sorry..."

"Come now, I don't think I'm the one you should be apologizing too... Though I guess you could also apologize to your mother. She seemed pretty scared."

You exhale deeply as if you were holding your breath for a long time. Slumping back to the chair and thinking about what you should do when you return to Mondstadt.

"So... tell me about her." Your dad smirked. "What's she like?"

"Huh?"

"I never really got to know your type of girl, I'm curious."

"W-what are you talking about?!" You burst into a redness. "She's just my superior at work!"

"Hah? I don't think people would be willing to die just for a boss..." He teasingly nudged you as he kept pressing on for details.

"Arghh! The moments ruined!"

You turned away flustered from your teasing father. Crossing your arms you stared out the window, in the distance you could see the few windmills of the city from here...

"She probably hates me now though..." you thought to yourself.

•••

"He probably hates me now!" Amber fell into her bed as she knelt down in fluster. "Ahh, how could I say that?

She managed to keep it in outside, but her mind kept torturing her about the thought of (Y/N)'s face when she told her off. This was the first time in a while she had to work alone, she almost forgot what it was like to be the only Outrider in Ordo Favonious.

"He just woke up and recovered from being knocked out and I yelled at him! I didn't even mention that I was glad he was okay!"

Foreseeing little to no-sleep tonight, Amber grabbed the Baron Bunny doll (non-explosive) resting on her bed and sat next to a window. Looking up at the stars and sighing.

"I'm sorry Amber, it's already been months since we last saw the Captain. The Outriders are starting to lose moral"

       "Hey, sorry kid. I know I promised the old man to train you but even I don't know why I wanted to be an Outrider in the first place.

        "You don't have to force yourself, being the only one left will be a difficult responsibility."

       Amber clenched tighter into the doll as the memories relapse in her mind.

"I guess I'll help you out in fulfilling that legacy. I'll take care of you too"

Amber gasped. Opening her eyes she looks up at the sky, thinking of hope but only for memories of the recent incident to return. She sighed hopelessly as she remembered once again...

"I'm sure you don't want to anymore..."