Oceanid Hunter

Don't let the length of the chapter fool you. I lowkey gave up on this chapter to be honest.

The lochfolk lived with the people of Fontaine. They were separate yet coexisted with everyone under the rule of the late Hydro Archon. But that was only the past...

As years come anew, so eventually would be an Archon. As Fontaine became the city of Justice, there were changes that affected the entire region. And not everybody agreed to that...

Going against the new Hydro Archon, the Oceanids put themselves on a self-exile. They all fled and spread out the lakes, rivers and seas of Tevyat. And as the invasive creatures settle, changes to its surrounding environment would follow...

"... Like I said: My mission is too dangerous for me to just allow some civilian to help."

Jacques was a hunter from Fontaine. He claimed that he was ordered by the governmental group of the city to at the very least stop the Oceanids from harming the environment of the other regions. And right now his target is the one you just saw jump out of the lake.

"Well you literally just told me that a magic hydro creature is moving around Mondstadt waters and now the people in the city got poisoned. You can't expect me to just not do anything about it!"

"I've been doing this for years! Trust me I'll be in and out of the region with the pest as soon as possible."

"...You say that but now that it fled on land, you don't know how to track the next body of water." You crossed your hands. "Seems like you might need help from an outrider that has patrolled around Mondstadt... More times than he can count."

"Outrider..." Jacques repeated. "Is that some sort of tour guide? Well as long as you won't get in the way I'll take you up on that."

You squinted your eyes at his remark but just shrugged it off. You nodded at him before looking south to where you'd think the Oceanid would have ran to.

There were a few small ponds that you passed by. But if the Oceanid wanted nothing more than to escape, it's unlikely it would stick around them for long. The next nearest thing that was southbound would be the lake in Windrise. It was directly connected to the sea, making it a good way to escape fully.

You began to step foot in the shallow waters, bending down to see if the creature was somewhere hiding. But so far you would only mistake a few similar colored Medaka's for it.

"How are we supposed to find it?"

You look over to Jacques who crouched near the stream. He took out a small vile from his pocket and twisted its cap open. He then poured a few drops into the water and waited.

"Hey! What did you put i-" You were about to ask when suddenly something popped out of the water.

Sure enough the small Oceanid turreted out of the water. It surprised you so much you backed away and tripped on the uneven streambed.

The Oceanid didn't take another second before sending a big bubbles to the ground. As it landed and popped raptors, cranes and crabs made of pure water emerged.

Jacques took out some sort of amulet. A diamond shaped blue crystal. It looked like a strangely big vision. It was connected to a meter long copper chain which Jacques used to swing it around.