Delusion [Part 2]

Credits to 玖月とおか
www.pixiv.net/en/users/16419399

     (Heads up, I added some more stuff at the end of Part 1 since this one turned out longer than I expected.)

"I know he said 'closer than we think." But aren't you being a bit too jumpy?" You laugh. The lead strapped to the horse in your hand as you feel the Outrider shuffle around from behind you. Looking left and right for anything out of the ordinary.

"Hmmm... I don't think Kaeya ever said something vague without a reason. He probably has figured something out but chose to stay mysterious."

"Well alright, just holler if anything comes up." A chuckle leading to a sigh. Its been a few months since you started your outrider training, and it felt so dynamic that having a mission to just ride a horse was admittedly really boring.

The road to exit the region of Mondstadt met you with a very familiar river. Its sight brings back the semi-traumatic memory of your father leaving the carriage to fend of the monsters and protect you and your family. Now you can laugh at your self, especially after he actually came back with that old outrider. That old outrider... Who's daughter is currently right behind you.

You watch as a few cyro slimes emerge from a nearby mist flower. You didn't have time to react before an arrow surrounded by a light of pyro is shot, followed by more, instantly melting down the monsters out of existence.

"Hey Amber." You strike a conversation. "Did you want to become an Outrider? Or was it because of your grandpa?"

"Hmm?" She pondered. "Well a bit if both, I guess. When he first founded the Outriders, I'd always watch him train a small group outside the yard. Soon, that small group became a big one... And then it was an entire platoon. Seeing the old man build something up was so cool, that I wanted to be a part of that."

"But when he left, so did everyone else."

"Well yeah, I guess that guy really just disappeared without a warning. Especially when I was finally starting out to be like him! It would be a shame if what he built from the ground up would just disappear. So here I am holding on to it, until he comes back, then we'll lead a new generation of Outriders together!"

You frown. Not really wanting to be the pessimist. But a burning curiosity sparked within you. "If, hypothetically, he doesn't come back... Will you quit being an Outrider?"

Amber snickered and slapped you in the back. "Come on what are you saying? Of course not! I'll just have to keep on carrying his legacy then... Besides I can't just leave you alone can I?"

You smile. Thanking that you were facing away from her, to hide the sudden feeling of fluster that your face might be showing.

"I guess I'll help you out in fulfilling that legacy. I'll take care of you too." You snicker.

"Shh!" Amber jolted. Startling you for a bit.

"Oh s-sorry— I didn't mean anything like—"

"No no. I mean keep quiet for a bit... I think I heard something." Amber looked around. You also tried to listen in to anything out of the ordinary. But so far it was only the running waters making any kind of sound.

"I swear there was some sort of thud..." Amber scratched her head. She looked back to the carriage and called out. "Umm... Mister Doyle? Are you alright in there?"

"Hm? Oh yes yes, I was just double checking my uhh— baggage! Just carry on!" The voice of the aristocrat answered back. You feel something off, he seemed nervous.