A Familiar Lonliness

"A stakeout?"

      Amber put down her cup of coffee as she looked over at you.

     "Yeah, Master Jean told me about it yesterday. We won't head out until the afternoon though."

     "Ah that explains why you're still wearing your Pjs." Amber giggled.

       Amber was already prepared and properly dressed in her uniform but you were still in your sleeping clothes looking like a dead beat. You could have just slept in, but you'd rather have breakfast with her first.

    "Well apparently since it might take all evening, they told me to just take the morning off."

       "Heeh? You know when I was the only Outrider, I didn't get the day off if I had a night mission." Amber sighed and took another sip.

      "Well now that there's two of us, at least your workload gets lessened a bit." You yawned as you sat across her on the table with your own coffee in hand.

     When she finished you saw her out. Helping her double check her things like you always do. Before she went off she turned towards you.

     "You know..." She spoke up, fidgeting a bit. "That means we won't see each other till tomorrow. Hehe, I hope you won't get lonely~"

   You frowned and nodded with exaggeration. "Very much so. Maybe I should just turn down the job."

     "Hey hey come on! Is that supposed to be the behavior of an Outrider?" Amber placed her hands on her hips.

    You kissed her pouting lips and laughed. "I was joking! I was joking!"

   Amber's faced softened as she smiled. "Do your best, Outrider."

    "You too, Outrider."

     You watched as Amber went off. Through the time she was still visible down the street, she was running while still facing towards you and waving. You were a bit nervous if she'd trip and fall that way. You ended up staying outside for a minute or more even after she'd already disappear into the next street.

     As Amber headed off into her usual route to the headquarters. She ran as enthusiastically and energetically as the people of Mondstadt knew her for. She hummed a tune as she made her way uo the stairs until she reached her destination.

      "Alright! Another day of Outriding! Let's give it our all today too!" Amber turned to her side.

      She did that out of habit. And she'd feel her enthusiasm stagger a bit as the usual sight of you catching up to her was replaced with an empty sidewalk.

     "Oh. Right right..." Amber chuckled to herself as she remembered she got here alone.

     •••••

     Evening came. The tired members of the knights of favonious all began to end their shifts. Either going out to eat and drink to end their day or go straight home.

    Amber stood by the foot of the stairs. Standing next to the small flowerbed that decorated the area around the headquarters. She looked idly on the ground.

     "Good work today!" Kaeya said as he went out himself. Noticing how Amber seemed to be waiting he curiously asked. "Are you waiting for someone?"

       "Oh huh." Amber looked up at the Captain. Looking back inside the headquarters and remembering. She shook her head.

      "Oh whoops... Not really." Amber laughed it off. She took her things and began to walk home. "Well see you tomorrow."