Can I

TW: Swearing, alcohol, and fighting 

You were in Dave's kitchen watching him cook when the front door opened. You knew who it was before you even looked. When you turned your eyes met, he gave you a quick subtle once over, as to not alert the woman by his side. So he brought Beth, how lovely. You turn around quickly, Derek giving you a look. "You know forest green really is your color, Y/N," Penelope says. You blush but she continues, "I mean damn you look hot, Derek please tell her she's hot." You all laugh, not noting Hotch and Beth coming up to you. "Y/N she has a point, you are hot. Always are but mama in this dress? God damn." he whistles. You laugh hugging him, "Thank you, thank you." Rossi looks up from his cooking, "Ah now everyone is here! Let's drink!" You speak up first, "Amen to that." Derek laughs nudging you, "What you need alcohol in you to take a compliment?" You roll your eyes, "I need alcohol in me to deal with you in general." Rossi gasps, "Y/N Y/L/N!" Spencer laughs joining in on the teasing, "What are you gonna do Rossi? Send her to her room?" Everyone laughs and for a moment you forget Hotch is even there, that is until Beth speaks. "David thank you for inviting me." You glance at Hotch, noting he was already starring at you. "I'm gonna kill him for inviting her," you whisper to Derek, him squeezing you tighter.

Dinner was seemingly uneventful, well it started that way. "So Hotch how did you two meet?" JJ asks, you send her silent daggers. "We met running-" He starts before she cuts him off. "I chased him through the park because he was cute." she laughs. Derek squeezes your thigh under the table. A silent 'are you okay. You take a drink, letting that speak for you. "We went on a few dates and the rest is a blur." Beth continues. You stand abruptly pushing your chair back, "I should go." you mutter. The table goes silent as you leave, not noticing Hotch standing. Dave puts a hand on his arm, "Aaron, don't do this right now-" but he doesn't listen following you outside of the house, ignoring the team calling for him. Especially not noticing them all, including Beth, following him ready to do damage control.

"Y/N where are you going?" he calls after you. You sigh turning around, knowing if he keeps going you won't be able to hold back. "Home, Hotch. I'm going home." He shakes his head, "So you're just leaving?" You snap your head up to meet his eyes, "Do not do this right now." Neither of you noticing the group watching you from the porch. "Why? Can't I be worried?" You let out a laugh that sounds mean and cold, even to you. "Jesus Hotch you haven't given a fuck about me for weeks why start now? You wanna start leaving coffee on my desk every morning again? You want me to hang out with Jack again? Cook for the two of you? Do you want to go back to the time you held my hand in the hospital? You've ignored me for over a month, Aaron, you don't get to give a shit now." you're yelling now. "That's not fair and you know it." He counteracts. "Why? Because you got shot in front of me and then acted as if I was a disease you needed to avoid at all costs."  He shakes his head, "What the hell are you talking about?" He shouts coming closer. "You know exactly what I'm talking about. Hell, you didn't even mention that I was gone for a week. You didn't even check on me after we got out of the hospital. I almost died. You almost died, and it would have been my fault. I was there for you when Haley died, even when you tried to push me away. But the one time I needed you to return the favor you ghosted me. So much for Jason being able to trust me with you." you say knowing it will hurt him. He visibly takes a step back at the last sentence. "I couldn't check on you after what happened. You were" You cut him off, "I was what Hotch? Too vulnerable? You didn't consider that when I snuck into your hospital room. What happened to not being able to live without me? What the fuck happened to that guy?" you yell tears streaming down your cheeks. "You know what don't answer that, I'm done. I'm done, I can't do this anymore Hotch. I'm done." He looks at you, "Are you quitting right now?" You look behind you at your car, unlocking it. "The BAU? No. You? Yes. Tell Jack I say hi." you say before walking to your car, driving off. He sighs turning around to see everyone, Rossi is the one to speak. "I told you not to open that can of worms tonight." He shakes his head avoiding looking at Beth. And then it hit the team. You were in love with Hotch. And he was in love with you.

A/N HI okay this one has been brewing in my head for days lol, I know my chapters are short I just prefer short chapters idk but hope you liked it <3