Chapter 23

Charlotte's POV

In all honesty I'm surprised he's standing in front of me not ready to answer one question but four. I have in mind what I want to ask, I have a lot to ask but I know I only get four so I'll ease into it before asking serious questions. He takes a seat on the couch looking at me by the door, he gestures to the spot beside him, "Better hurry before I change my mind"

I quickly sit on the couch in his room not leaving a space beside us, I kick my feet up and get comfortable facing his way. He kicks his feet up on the coffee table waiting for me to begin. "Okay, where did you grow up?", I wait for the long answer and expect him to say multiple places but he simply answers.

"Here"

"You grew up here in New York?", his accent isn't thick so I thought maybe his parents moved around due to work.

"Is that another question?"

Fuck, "Uhmm",  hum. "It's extended"

He narrows his eyes, "Yes, I did", he answers. 

I nod, I don't want to get into that now because I only get four, "Do you enjoy what you do? Killing people and...drugs?", I know I said I'd ease into it but I don't want to know the boring questions.

He looks away from my gaze, "I'd be lying if I said a didn't enjoy it"

"You enjoy killing people?"

"The bad people, yes", he nod looking back at me. His ocean blue eyes turning a darker shade of blue, they aren't bright and eye catching anymore, they're almost black. I wonder what kind of bad people he has hurt. "You have one more question", he tells me.

"What? No, I have two left"

He rolls his eyes, "One"

"Two", I say firmly. I can see this becoming an argument, this is the most civil we've been and I don't want to ruin it because he won't tell me anything else.

"Fine", he says with a huff. 

"What was it like growing up in this world?", I sound like a damn journalist. 

He shrugs, "Like any normal kid"

I can tell that's bullshit, "I highly doubt it was normal, your father was a mafia leader", I say as if he already didn't know that.

He shrugs again, "It was fine"

I sigh, "You promised you'd answer four questions...truthfully"

He shakes his head, "I didn't"

I move to stand up, I knew this was a waste of time. He pulls me back onto the couch, "Okay, you drama queen", he laughs light. "It sucked", I stare at him waiting for him to elaborate, he catches on and goes more into depth, "My parents were never really around, mostly my father but my mom followed him a lot. I would get in trouble a lot at school for attention. My nanny took me in like her own, she was the best thing about my childhood. I hated my father, when they were home I'd hear him beating my mom late at night, I was around eight years old maybe....I'd lay in my bed listening to her cry and screaming apologies to him, it was always something he made up in his head like her looking at other men or talking to his men too inappropriately but my mum said he doesn't do it anymore, she said they're happy ever since he retired, if he does still hurt her he wouldn't be breathing...he shouldn't be breathing right now"

He looks down at his lap and he recalls the events, I continue wanting to know this question since the start, "What's your real name?"

He laughs throwing his head back against the couch, "Nice try, give me another question", He will never tell me his real name. I sigh falling back on the couch, I scoot up and rest my head on the armrest, I feel him watching me as I look up at the ceiling.