Chapter Eighty-Seven: Control

Luffy
"This is going to be fun!" I exclaim as we reach the base of the hill. "Right guys?!"
"Doubtful," Usopp mutters and I huff, going over to Kuro. True, he is very cynical but he likes the scary and dangerous.
"It could end up being fun..." he agrees and I grin widely. "The climbing at least. The mind controlling guy? No." I sigh and take his hand, hoping that somewhat helps him worry less. Also I like holding Kuro's hand. It is nice! Plus Kuro seems less grouchy about the whole situation because a small adorable smile crosses his features. I am so lucky to have him...

We head up the hill which at first isn't that bad. It isn't too narrow or unstable so I can keep holding Kuro's hand.
"How are your hands always so cold?" I ask, running my thumb down the back of his hand, swinging my arm slightly as we walk.
"How are you always warm?" he counters.
"...I'm not. You're just cold," I reply with a chuckle.
"And your still warm."
"But-" I try.
"Okay, break it up you two," Danni says with a giggle. "Just go with the both are right." We exchange a look and shrug. I am not wrong, at least.

I reach over and brush Kuro's hair from his eyes. I like the slightly longer style he has had lately given he can't be bothered to cut it. There's more to play with and it really suits him. The hill gets so steep that it is almost vertical and the jagged rock I can feel through my sandals. So no falling. That would freaking hurt and that isn't accounting for maybe falling off the edge and going splat. Reluctantly I let go of Kuro's hand so it is easier for us to balance. I don't want to fall off but I want Kuro to fall even less. He hasn't got rubber abilities to reach out and grab something.
"Oh great. I think we may have to circle around," Danni says as we come to a stop with a high ravine. There is a stream beneath with jaggered black rocks sticking out and it is just past jumping distance. Plus the area is covered in sea stone. There is a crank on the other side that does look like it would operate enough of a bridge to safely jump.

"I could probably jump this," Kuro murmurs. He frowns slightly, examining the distance with a speculative expression. "Yeah, I could make that...It would be close but..."
"Maybe not worth the risk?" Usopp says. "We could circle back."
"The main path looks pretty narrow and it is where the people who are mind controlled are. It isn't like we can hurt them," Kuro counters. "If something goes wrong then it would be really pitiful that misjudging a jump would be what takes me out." I chuckle slightly.
"I'm with Usopp on this..." Danni murmurs. "Unless you are certain you can make the jump then-"
"Can you ever be entirely certain of anything?" Kuro says. Well I'm certain of how much I care about Kuro...Then again he probably meant certain of situations?

Kuro does a run up then jumps over the ravine, landing elegantly on the edge of the other side. Then my breath catches in my chest as the ground he landed on crumbles, giving away. He comes pretty close to falling but his arms catch the ledge and he pulls himself up, going over to the crank.

The bridge reaches halfway across but that is enough for all of us to reach.
"Go one at a time," Kuro suggests, holding it in place with a slight wince. "It looks old; too much force would snap it into splinters." We nod and I head across first, hearing the creak and quickly head over to him. I help with the crank given it looks heavy and soon we are all across. Not far now, and with a much tiring looking route, is the building that the mind controller is likely in.

Since the path is also now wider I take Kuro's hand again, giving it a gentle squeeze.
"It's gonna be okay, Kuro," I say, quietly. His green eyes swim with doubt and his gaze locks on mine. "As long as we don't make eye contact he can't control us, right?"
"Unless they are the 'be in the vicinity' type, not the eye contact type," Kuro mutters, eyes flashing somewhat. "If that is the case then we could all be walking off the cliff happily."
"Except for you," I say. "So you'd be fine!"
"Yes because watching everyone wander off a cliff would make for 'fine' wouldn't it?" he says with an icy note in his voice.
"I think your being overly cynical," I say. "They probably won't get us to off ourselves."
"Fine... They'll get you to patiently line up to be publically executed to get your bounties then," he says with an eye roll. "I can and will keep thinking of the worst possibility."
"You know a little positivity can go a long way," I say, nudging him slightly.
"And some realism can make the bad be less unexpected," he says but the small smile shows I may have somewhat cheered him up. At least a little.

We get to the entrance which leads to a large courtyard. The stream is also here. The current isn't particularly fast but it is deep so avoiding that is necessary for all of us devil fruit users. Especially as it eventually leads to a waterfall and then a ravine. With sharp rocks. That would impale us. Like porcupines. Oh jeesh I spend too much time with Kuro's cynicism. But he is great so no complaints really.

A door leading inside opens and a guy steps into the courtyard. He is a few inches taller than Kuro and muscular. He doesn't have a bladed weapon which helps me fight him if necessary but is eerily calm about all of us being here. He smirks slightly when his cold, snake-like gaze, lands on Kuro.
"I know you from somewhere, don't I?" he asks, tone mocking. Our looks snap to Kuro who looks completely lost. "Or I know of you would be phrasing it better."
"Well Kuro does have a reputation and bounty," I point out.
"Hm...True," he agrees but still doesn't look my way. "But not from there. No, a certain...scientist mentioned you. Now what was his name? Right, Keizo."

The mood changes instantly. Everyone who has a weapon has their hand on it instantly an Kuro freezes, slight panic crossing his features. Me? If this guy helped Keizo in any way I want to crush him.
"You knew Keizo?" Kuro asks, no emotion in his voice.
"Indeed...And I know you killed him," he says. "And that you are immune to my powers. So you are the only one here who poses any threat. Not for long though."

He finally looks our way, fog obscuring my vision instantly. Control slips away. My mind zeros in on nothingness and concentration slips away. One thought fills my mind. 'Kill Him.'