Chapter Thirty-Seven: Confusing Concern

Kuro
Once back from the adventure with Luffy I decide I need some time alone, just to think. I head back out, not minding the rain as much now given it isn't as heavy so I'm not entirely blinded. Plus it cools the hot, heavy air despite being a rather warm rain. I head to one of the cliffs, a lower one above the beach, the sea stretching out into the horizon. As a kid I came here a lot, dreaming of the day I could leave this island and never come back. Half of that has come true; the 'never coming back though' fell as flat as most of Brook's puns. Not a pun person really. I let my legs swing over the edge, resting my elbow on my knees and cheek on my hand, hoping that the wind picks up soon and I can leave again. Nightshade Island is nothing but memories I want to forget and moments that suffocate me internally.

"Hey, you okay?" a voice asks. I glance up and see Danni. I nod. "What are you doing out here in the rain?"
"Thinking," I reply. The sky is an oppressive grey, fog whirling out and strangling the tallest trees. Fitting given how this island sucks the life out of anything good.
"Okay...but why in the rain?" she asks me with a lost expression, sitting by me. Well, so much for alone time. "And why at the edge of a cliff?"
"Hey, rain can clear your mind..." I point out. "And the cliff? Just because."
"You aren't planning on jumping are you?" she asks, warily. "With everything that you have been through..." Her voice trails off. Really? Her to? Usopp asked that as well, is it that obvious I have been through wanting too?
"No," I reply. "For one the sand at the bottom would cushion a fall. And I haven't wanted to as late."
"As late? So you've wanted to before?" Danni asks. Oh shit. Again with the slipping up?! What is wrong with me today?
"I slipped up again," I mutter, sourly, knowing if I try to backpedal now she won't buy it. "I need to stop doing that." I stare at the ground, hoping it swallows me up so I don't have to face all my stupid mistakes.

"Hey, it's okay..." Danni says and I glance up in confusion. How is it okay? I keep being weak, that isn't okay. "It just means we'll be extra concerned about you."
"We?" I ask, dubiously. "No one else is finding out...And why would you be concerned? It isn't important." I'm not important but figure voicing that statement probably isn't a great idea.
"You're part of the crew, Kuro. So we care about you," Danni replies and I stare at her, unable to hide my confusion. So they care because they're obligated to care so they don't actually? That makes more sense than them actually caring. "Right...you aren't used to people caring... Look, we don't just care because we have to but because you are in the crew we have the chance to get to know you so we care. And even if you weren't in the crew you ever wanting to do that is cause for concern."
"It is?" I ask. My parents, uncle and classmates always said if I ever did that (or they would give an example of how I should do that) it would be a huge cause of celebration because there would be one less waste of life wandering around." She nods. Huh. Well that is confusing.

"Hey guys!" Usopp voice says as he comes over and sits next to Danni. Alone time. Next time I should climb a 30foot tree if I want to be alone.
"Hi," I reply. As much as I want to be alone I am not just going to ignore him because that is just rude and we're finally getting along.
"So have fun exploring with Luffy?" he asks me. Oh phew, an easier conversation topic.
"Mmhm," I confirm. "Got the Devil Fruit that I stole from my parents so I now have two...not sure what the one I have now actually does but y'know it may come in handy or be good for money at one point." I may not be the most materialistic person but books aren't exactly cheap no matter how much I wish they were. "And the inn now has a 6foot chicken to cook so there's that..." Yeah, this island is weird...

The clouds break slightly with sunlight and despite being very rainy the island's trademark triple rainbow.
"Wow..." Usopp murmurs. "Pretty..." I nod. We get a lot of rainbows here given the rainforest climate. Still though, the rain worsens and black clouds roll in. Oh great!
"There's going to be a big storm," I murmur.
"Storm? Okay, let's head back!" Usopp exclaims. "Come on guys." Oh. I was thinking about staying out a bit longer but fine. Head back time I guess... We get back just as lightening crashes, illuminating the dark clouds with light. I watch out the window given it is lightening and it is something I have always enjoyed to watch. Pretty and dangerous. Pretty fascinating.