Chapter Eighty-Five: Designing

Danni
It has been a few weeks since Usopp proposed and I think today is the day I am going to ask Nova to make the dress since he finished the jackets he was working on. I head over to wear he is eating a giant chocolate bar.
"Hi!" he greets, still permanently cheerful.
"Hi," I reply. "So...can you design and make something for me?"
"Sure!" he agrees, cheerfully. "What do you want me to make?"
"The wedding dress," I say, hoping something being not bright and cool wouldn't put him off too much. "Think you can do that?"
"Mhm," he confirms. "Please don't say you want the generic white tube..."
"I mean I want it pretty traditional..." I say. "But not boring? And maybe not white?" The idea of it 'not being just white' seems to add an element of enthusiasm and he nods, flipping open a notebook to plan it.

"So what kind of shape do you want?" he asks. I shrug, not sure. "Any you don't particularly like?"
"Nothing overly form fitting but not a huge ballgown either...maybe a middle ground?" I say wishing I knew more about fashion. "Oh, and nothing too heavy since we are planning on doing it outside..." He flips the notebook around after a few moments. The outline of it is pretty: the skirt flows out slightly instead of being huge and the top doesn't have sleeves put has a top? I don't know how to explain fashion but it's pretty!
"Any changes?" he asks.
"Uh...Maybe a train?" I ask and he nods, adding the outline of one. "What will the back look like?"
"I was thinking an element of illusion and it isn't one of the low backs?" he suggests and I nod in agreement. Not sure what he means but when it comes to fashion I'll take his word for it! "So what colour?"
"I was thinking slightly white but with a blue tinge?" I ask, hoping that works. He nods in agreement and I grin.
"Wanna go fabric shopping then?" he asks with a grin. I nod and we head off into town.

                                  --------------------------------------------------

I head to Nova's room to see how the dress is going. It has been a couple of weeks since he took my measurements and brought the fabric so I wanna see if it is taking shape yet. I knock on his door and get a happy 'come in!' in reply. I do so and pause at how damn perfect it is already on the mannequin he is working on.
"Wow..." I whisper. "Nova, you're good..."
"You like it?" he asks with a grin, looking up from his work. I nod eagerly then giggle, taking out some of the thread caught in his silver hair. "What else can there possibly be to add? This is perfect!"

"The train," he lists with a grin. "Some of the finer details. The sash. The inside layer for the top so it isn't see-through."
"So once that is done can I try it on?" I ask, eagerly, and grin widely when he nods.
"I'd need you to try it on around then anyway so I can do the final alterations," he replies. I run my hand down the fabric, loving how soft it feels. Obviously I couldn't wait for the wedding before but now? Somehow a dress has made me even more excited!

"Hmm...this is something new and blue?" I point out. "What do you think I should do for the something old and something borrowed?"
"Something...what?" he asks looking perplexed.
"Oh, a tradition with weddings is to wear something new, blue, old and borrowed," I tell him with a grin. "No idea about what to do with the two..."
"You could borrow a necklace or something from Robin or Nami," he suggests. "As for the old...no idea."
"Aw...Maybe I should ask Kuro?" I say. Kuro seems to have ideas for anything and everything.
"Kuro would probably come up with something," he agrees. "He's super smart!" I nod and after making a bit more small talk head to where Kuro is sat reading a book.

"Hi," I greet.
"Hi," he replies, looking up for a brief moment before gaze returning to the pages.
"You know weddings have the new, blue, borrowed, old thing?" I ask and he nods. "Any ideas for the something old?"
"Why are you even doing the ancient tradition?" he asks and I shrug. I just feel like it! "How about you go to an antique shop and buy a bracelet or something?" Huh. Simple but effective... I like!

Sooo hella short chapter, I know. I ran out of steam. The next ones will be back to normal length though!