Chapter Seven: Stardust Island

Danni
Home. We're home. And it, in honesty, is a little disappointing. Yes, I love my family and the place I have grown up but it means that my time with the Straw Hats is coming to an end. After they have all their supplies they will leave and I will never see them again except in newspapers and posters like before. Now I've met them it will be more special when I see them because I know the actual them and not just the newspaper view. Or I'm getting to know them at least: you can't know someone completely from just a few days travelling with them. Except maybe Nova whose personality seems to be a mix of wanting sugar and being excited about every new thing. He hasn't had much opportunity in the world yet though so it is likely that it'll change over time.
"Come on, you can stay at our manor!" I say as we dock the ship, jumping off onto the land.
"You have a manor?" Nami asks, looking impressed.
"Well technically it's my Dad's," I reply. "He is the leader of the island but these days we rent many of the rooms out so there are plenty of rooms for you to stay in."

We head towards the manor, the crew chattering as we do so. It is interesting that they have such normal conversations when the newspapers paint them as just fighters and nothing else. Or at times heroes because of all the times they have inadvertently saved islands and the people on them which is what made me take notice of them. They're pirates and good people which are something we don't see enough of in this world.
"So besides you and your dad does anyone else live in the manor?" Robin asks and I realise that I never mentioned my brother. Oops.
"Yes, my little brother Ben," I reply. "He's eight."
"Are you two close?" Nami asks. I remember that she has a sister which is probably why she is interested.
"Yeah," I reply with a smile. "He's my brother after all. I don't have a huge family so we need to be close. Besides, Ben is a great brother." And he is which is true, but he is also eight so he can be annoying. Everyone finds their siblings annoying sometimes so that is nothing unusual.

We get to the manor and Ben runs over.
"Dad! Dad! Danni's back!" he yells as he hugs me. Then his eyes look on Luffy and I grin as his eyes widen. "Oh my goodness..."
"Hi," Luffy says to him which makes Ben's eyes widen even more. Ben, like me, is a fan of the Straw Hats so, like it was for me, this is a complete dream come true. They're great after all, anyone would like them. Except, obviously, marines but that goes without saying. Dad comes down and I hug him too. When he sees the Straw Hats he looks surprised but not as shocked as us two.
"Ah, the Straw Hats," he says with a grin. "It's a pleasure to meet you." Oh jeez. If he starts talking about how he knows about them and why he has no issue with them then I will probably die of embarrassment. Dad though, thankfully, is aware of this and isn't the kind of Dad who goes out of his way to embarrass us.
"You don't have an issue with us?" Nami asks.
"No, we've heard a lot about things you've done," he replies. "Compared to other pirates it is good things." Which is why I admired them so much. Or part of it.

I show them into the manor.
"Have whatever rooms you want and feel free to look around," I say. "So. You can use any of the rooms except rooms one to eleven. There are nineteen rooms to choose from. We have a kitchen, Study area, Living room and a few other rooms. You can go explore around. Please don't enter rooms one to eleven as these are our personal rooms. If you guys need me at any point, I'll either be in the garden, any of the living areas or my bedroom, Room eleven but please knock first. Any questions?"
"Which way are the shops?" Robin asks me. "Because Nova wanted to get a new bat."
"Town centre is to the North, however if you follow the glow in the sky you'll get there easily," I reply.
"Glow?" Usopp asks.
"The reason this island is called Stardust is because we have a statue in the centre of town which is filled up with stardust. It glows all the time but is especially bright at night," I explain, smiling.

"How does it do it?" Robin asks, looking interested. It's more science than history but I've gathered that she is interested in most things really. She's smart so that makes sense to be honest, and it is rather interesting. I think so at least.
"We're not really sure. It's probably when the stars burst, their dust ends up settling on this island but that is just a theory that is the most likely explanation," I say with a shrug.
"Stars do that?" Nova asks, looking lost. "I thought they were just glowy things in the sky..." He really didn't get out did he...? Or get told much.
"Stars are in a permanent cycle," I explain. "They collect stardust and some other things, making a big star which lasts for a while then dies so the cycle starts again." After the explanation Nova looks less lost but still mildly confused.
"You're really smart Danni~Chan," Sanji compliments.
"Thank you, Sanji," I say with a smile.
"So stars die?" Nova asks. "So they aren't inanimate?"
"They're not alive in the way humans and animals are," Usopp explains. "So it's called dying but it is more fading, exploding or imploding."

"That makes sense," Nova says. "I really need to read up on how things work."
"There's a whole library in the manor, feel free to read up on anything you want," I offer. Nova and Robin both look pretty happy at the idea and I grin. They really are nice to be around. But, in a few days, it'll be over. It'll all be over.

Usopp
It is really hard to pretend to be enthusiastic at reaching Danni's island. Yes, Stardust Island seems amazing. The concept of the glow is really fascinating, Danni's family are really nice and it is nice to learn more about where she is from. However, unless Luffy ends up asking her to join the crew which isn't very likely, we will be leaving in a few days and I won't see her again. We won't I mean. I don't know. But I'll miss her, we all will. She is really nice to talk to, to be around, and she is really kind. I liked her very quickly – just as a friend obviously- because she is a brilliant person. And regardless of what everyone keeps saying I am not blushing, it is just warm. I like her as a friend and that is it. Definitely. Then we'll leave and not see our friend again. Never fun and I feel that, with Danni, it will be worse, because of how much I like her.

"Are you okay?" Nova asks, breaking me out of my thoughts. As I start paying attention to the room again I notice everyone else has left.
"I'm fine," I say with a smile. "Why'd you ask?"
"You seem down," Nova says with a shrug. "You've seemed pretty down since we got to this island." I'm surprised. People who have known me for years can't tell but Nova managed to figure out something is wrong when he's hardly known for long at all. "Is it to do with the fact that we've reached Danni's island?"
"You're observant," I comment, frowning slightly. "Is it that obvious?"
"Not exactly," he says. "You just don't seem happy. Which isn't good, everyone should be happy." I smile again. Nova is the definition of likable. He is nice and has the mindset that everyone deserves happiness which adds to that. He is obviously an optimist and a good person and I hope none of the islands or threats change that.
"I'll just miss her when we leave," I admit. "She is a really good person."
"At least there's a few days 'til we go," Nova says. "That gives you a few days to spend a lot of time with her." I smile again.
"Thanks Nova," I say.
"What for?" he asks with a perplexed expression.
"Just talking about it," I reply. "It helps. I'm glad Luffy asked you to join the crew."

His smile brightens and I guess that with the facility people didn't enjoy his company much. Still, for someone made to be a weapon that wasn't shown much kindness he is an extremely good hearted person. Most people wouldn't be in Nova's shoes.
"So where did everyone go?" I ask him.
"Zoro went to get some sake," he replies. "Quite a few people went to get supplies. Luffy was hungry, Robin went to the library and Danni went to talk to her little brother."
"Didn't you want to go to the library?" I ask him: Danni mentioned it since he said he wanted to read up on the world.
"Yea," he says, cheerfully. "But I thought I would check you were okay first. Now I've forgot which way Danni said it was."
"I'll help you find it," I offer. It's only fair, he went out of his way to be nice to me so I can do something simple like helping him find the library.
"Thanks," he says cheerfully.
"No problem," I say with a smile.