Chapter Twenty-Nine: Family Reunion

Kuro
Eventually the town is in sight and it seems like nothing has changed. There is the same stone path with dried up moss on it, snaking around the town and circling the majority of the buildings like a boa constrictor. The sun beats down on it, and even through my shoes I can feel the heat. Bare feet on this path with this sunlight = severe burns. The grass is still short and dried out, Moonshade lines the hottest parts and vines twist as some kind of weird obstacle course. A demented one, much like everything on this damn island. I am fine with heat but the humidity is already getting to me, and the others as well I think, the heaviness of the air fills my lungs and my fringe falls dishevelled into my eyes. I try to push it out the way but it just falls back. Humidity is an impossibility for staying tidy. Really, I would rather drink water than breathe it in but that isn't much of a choice here.
"Wow it is humid," Usopp comments, pushing his hair from his face. It is probably worse for him given how thick and curly it is. "And so hot." It is about then I notice practically the whole crew are out of breath except for me given I did get used to this weather.
"Kuro, how did you survive this kind of weather constantly?" Luffy asks, huffing slightly.
"You get used to it," I say, wryly. "When it gets hotter they send out an alert to stay inside which means pretty much everything but inns and restaurants and such close."

The shops are still the same as they have always been, all the buildings are except for the few rarities. Grey concrete and shaped like tombstones, contributing to the overall feeling of death this place creates. The exceptions are prettier but still dry and drab under the harsh sun that only goes away for around six hours at night. The fence on the side of the rainforest that you can reach without rock climbing an insanely steep cliff has been reinforced. Right. 'Out of Bounds'. Typical. The waterfall (well the one that isn't in the rainforest) is as cool as ever and rushes down to the sea, creating an area of dangerous rapids as they collide.
"Shall we split up and get what we need?" Nami suggests and everyone nods in agreement before wandering off. I just go sit on a bench, having no intention of going into the shops that are full of memories just like every other inch of this place.

Admittedly I thought that I would be alone with my thoughts but Danni comes over and sits by me. I glance up but don't say anything then just redirect my glance to the cracked ground.
"Hey, are you okay?" she asks me. "You seem really down."
"I'm fine," I mumble. "I just didn't think I would ever have to come here again."
"It's just an island," Usopp retorts with a mutter, who is sat by Danni. I glance up at him with a tired expression and don't bother commenting. I just stare down the path where my old 'home; was.
"T-there's a burned down house..." Usopp stammers. To be fair to him the ruins do look haunted. Parts of the structure remain but not much. Even to this day, over a decade later, soot remains. The wood is blackened and the place looks fit to fall, sound catching on it with eerie echoes. It is devoid of life, even years of abandonment there is no sign of insects or bats or anything.
"There is a story behind that place," one of the locals says, stopping in front of us. "Want to hear it?" Danni nods eagerly and I glance up to see how accurate it is.

"There used to be a family who lived there but they were evil and twisted. Some even believe they were part demon with some of the things they did..." they begin. Part demon, really? What idiots. "They had a kid who they constantly hurt which no one here noticed until they murdered the child. They came back as a vindictive ghost and burnt the place to the ground with everyone still in it. Everyone who tried to investigate it got really badly hurt and they found evidence of the extreme abuse and blood...Plus there is also a haunted ship." Wow. That is ridiculous. Although some elements of that were slightly accurate. Once they've gone I notice Usopp is trembling slightly, no doubt buying the ghost story. I decide to not be a jerk and relieve at least some of the trepidation towards it.
"That was utter nonsense," I say.
"Really?" Usopp asks, doubtfully, as the others arrive. "Weren't you guys shopping?"
"The shops are closed from 12-1 for lunch," Nami says. "People were telling us about the haunted building and ship."
"Well according to Kuro it isn't true," Danni says and everyone looks at me, no doubt looking for a further explanation. Great!